The Job We’re looking for a dynamic, personable and experienced Account Director to aid in managing a team of fully integrated, multidisciplinary managers, as well as the agency’s relationship with our clients.
We look for Account Directors who have a proven track record of establishing and maintaining client relationships that grow and profit–while having the ability to develop and guide a large team of individuals who are sitting client side daily.
The Account Director supports client partnerships with a keen eye on work volume, administrative detail and partnership health, proactively managing one step ahead at all times. You’ll act as the identifier and translator of client specific goals, business models and issues that arise to the team of supervisors you support, as well as the larger Director’s Team, and help foster understanding and belief of true partnership from these groups.
You should care intensely about your work without conflating work ego with personal ego. While you’ll be working closely with clients, our agency’s integrated teams collaborate equally and share accountability, in failure and success alike.
- Adept at anticipating and proactively solving challenges and remaining composed, assured, and effective under pressure
- A compelling and approachable communicator
- Highly experienced in digital marketing initiatives across brand, email, web, and social
- Highly experienced in process improvement and evolution
- Skilled in creating healthy relationships with clients with whom you don't interact with on a day to day basis
- Able to inspire teams and bring enthusiasm to your client’s initiatives, big and small
- Skilled at leading individuals/teams whose work differs across platforms/ channels/industries ect.
- Confident in your ability to have hard conversations, you know when to push back and when to give
- A long-term strategic thinker capable of planning for how the agency can evolve to meet the client's needs
- Aware of and planning for the bigger picture both with accounts and for the agency, while in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment
- Highly personable, able to relate to grow and develop internal team members while matching those individuals' skill sets to the needs of the client and in the agency
As a worker you will:
- Be responsible for overall growth and development of the accounts that you manage
- Understand each team member's role and how each contributes to the larger team structure, making decisions and recommendations that regard both
- Being sufficiently informed and personally involved, ensuring strategic planning, good service and a solid client/agency relationship
- Articulate client needs beyond what is said in a room and work collaboratively with the Team to employ best practices, push boundaries, and drive client goals
- Develop and approve large-scale proposals, scopes of work (SOWs), and briefs to align internal and client teams
- Present compellingly both internally and externally, advocating on behalf of the client while supporting your team members and preserving agency work
- Report to the Director of Partner Services regarding partnership health, financial health and new business opportunities
- Keep the Directors Team informed of the status of accounts, problems, plans and meetings, as well as involving Management personnel at key times.
- Effectively communicate, both in-person and digitally, to provide clear direction and enable collaboration between the agency and client partners
- Manage and mentor team members ensuring adherence to agency values and processes, including oversight of on-boarding, training, performance reviews and growth plans.
As for experience, you need:
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in Advertising/Marketing, Communications, or a related field
- 9+ years of account management experience, and passion for, working with brands in a digital agency environment
- Experience leading multidisciplinary teams including digital strategists, creative teams, and data analysts
- Accomplished business driver with strong record of client engagement, retention, and growth
- Experience building relationships, confidently interacting with all levels of leadership and understanding and valuing cultural differences
- Proven managerial skills and the ability to develop staff and teams
- Willingness to occasionally travel (less than 5% of time) and attend industry events
Even better, you have:
- Experience working with technical solutionists
- A background working in project management tools like Trello, BaseCamp, AirTable, and Asana
- Experience with marketing operations for large-scale brands
- A knack for not only obsessing the work, but also how it gets done