Our client is an iconic fashion retailer creating the latest apparel and accessories. With their innovative, on-trend, and creative designs they are industry leaders in the fashion space.
Assistant Designer Overview:
As an Assistant Designer, you will join the Design, Merchandising and Product Development team. You will collaborate with the Design Director, Knitwear Design Team and Knitwear Tech Team, working within the product development time and action calendar to develop, design, and execute private label merchandise for the Brand direct and retail channels.
Assistant Designer Responsibilities:
- Partner with Designers to research market for relevant trends.
- Provide support to the Knitwear Design Team in the creative development and execution of new product.
- Assist in the preparation of sketches for product line selection and flat line drawings for use in technical packages.
- Work on stitch pattern layouts with knitwear design team.
- Initiate and set up first proto tech packages and design development linesheet to facilitate initial sampling, updating all information yarns throughout the design process from first proto to SMS sample presentation.
- With Designers and Knitwear Tech Team, evaluate all first proto samples for fit, stitch and yarn tensions. Update sketches, yarn info and stitch layouts for final design samples.
- Organize yarn and trim library, following-up with mills on pricing and new developments.
- Communicate with factory vendors for sample yarn ordering, work with mills for Yarn Detail Sheets, set up and maintain yarn chart for the season to track sample yarns.
- Follow development calendar, track design samples closely to ensure all deadlines are met .
- Assist in the preparation and execution of sample presentations, prior organization, helping book and dress models, etc.
Assistant Designer Key Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Fashion, Design or related area
- 1 – 2 years of experience in Knitwear Design
- Understanding of customer preferences on fashion and style trends
- Strong sketching skills, color sense, and fabric knowledge
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, Microsoft Word and Excel