Job descriptionThe Buyer will collaborate with various internal teams and external vendors to create the product selection that sets the brand apart from all competition. The buyer will develop business strategies that drive sales through the assortment of products selected, pricing, promotion and ROI. The ideal candidate will work closely with cross-functional teams in management of gross margin through sales, markdowns, return to vendors, and markups. The Buyer will support the Merchandise & Planning team in the execution of merchandise, financial, and operational strategies.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities
• Negotiate with vendors on discounts, shipping, terms, exclusives, RTVs, credits, etc.
• Create Purchase Orders and recommend seasonal buying strategies for stores and Ecommerce. Ensure purchase orders fit within vendor and category budgets.
• Ensure cost, retails, item descriptions, attributes, and categories are accurate on SKUs. Ensure retail pricing is competitive while maintaining gross margin budgets.
• Responsible for the set-up of assortment boards for Assortment Review; prepare reports and participate in discussion. Responsible for the presentation.
• Maintain damage log, request replacement parts with vendor, communicate with warehouse and inventory control. Ensure damage log is updated weekly. Work with warehouse, accounting, and vendors to process RTVs and request credits.
• Maintain design library. Update catalogs and pricelists, and order fabric and finish samples. Work with vendors on competitive pricing.
• Request relevant information for Ecommerce. Liaise with Ecommerce and vendors to gather item descriptions, dimensions, and weights and request hi-res images. Monitor the daily upload of new product on company website.
• Analyze Ecommerce sales. Identify areas of vendor, merchandising, and opportunities.
• Make markdown and pricing recommendations. Ensure markdowns fit within gross margin, inventory turn, and sales budgets. Monitor markdowns so that they work with assortment and exit strategies.
• Organize picture files for best seller reporting, picture POs, assortment boards, assortment sheets, ecommerce, and system uploads.
• Participate in comp shopping to determine pricing strategies, seek potential new vendors, and report on market trends.
• Work with vendors and stores to coordinate product trainings. Set up product knowledge and product preview files for stores.
• Run and organize market selling reports pre and post-market. Attend market shows as needed.
• Develop and maintain effective relationships with cross functional business partners,
• Special projects as needed by the Management Team.
• Establish and maintain buying best practices to allow for consistency of approach, design, implementation, and decision making
• Mentor, manage, and coach Assistant Buyers and Interns by providing substantive feedback and guidance on best-practices and prioritize tasks to ensure efficient use of resources
• Attend various markets and trade shows (national and international)
• Serve as a representative of the overall management team as needed within the organization
• Bachelor's Degree or equivalent
• 5+ years of buying or planning experience, specifically in a retail business environment, furniture experience a plus
• Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Excel and knowledgeable in Microsoft Office
• Knowledge of retail math and operations
• Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one situations to supervisors and other employees of the company
• Must be extremely organized, detail-oriented, and possess the drive to succeed within a fast-paced environment
• Strong time management and organization skills