Our client is a well-known gifting and floral company that is seeking a new Category Manager for their Speciality Gift Devision based in Long Island!
Category Manager Specialty Gifts A high-performing manager who is responsible for creating and managing the assortment for the Specialty Gifts category. Individual works collaboratively with the team Assistant Manager, who will be a direct report, and Director, to manage the life cycle of the product line from ideation to direct delivery to the consumer. Responsible for developing innovative, exclusive, on brand relevant products for commercial distribution and profitable growth. Due to the complex nature of this category, this position will require relevant experience in various categories of consumer gifting products.
Category Manager Primary Responsibilities:
• Prepare line list for new seasonal and core development reflecting a quarterly assortment plan including options for sku rationalization and maximization.
• Identify new and innovative introductions that will enhance the product assortment based on trends, learning’s and sub-category growth
• Ensure line-list accuracy through consistent monitoring and insuring updates have been reflected in the documentation.
• Develop ideas for bundles, add-ons and up-sells. Key items. New introductions.
• Be mindful of competitive product and offers and new trends that may be relevant
• Prepare for and attend weekly commercialization meetings communicating information regarding line list and assortment. Insuring box fit, and packaging requirements are satisfied. Ensure QA requirements are fulfilled.
• Ensure the assortment reflects holiday, secondary holiday products, core relevancy, and key sub-category growth.
Hard Good Management and Development
• Work with our sourcing team on development of new gifts, add-ons, and other innovative products.
• Maintain a working knowledge of inventories for reorders, sell-through, and obsolescence.
• Understand and manage packaging and the approval process for all gift products.
Procurement and Vendor Relations
• Work with VR and QA on CSI awareness and issue resolution
• Manage new samples for feasible up sell and add-on strategies
• Obtain samples for box fit and ensure ship sample approval is executed
• Prepare creative briefs for care cards for products that require explanation
• Ensure products in development are properly test shipped.
• Obtain quote sheets and pricing from vendors on all products currently in development. Negotiate pricing as needed.
• Prepare gross margin calculations for products and maintain a gross margin file to include core every day and holiday pricing.
• Maintain accurate gross margin calculators and insure new calculators are updated and reflect relevant parameters.
Photography and Creative Turnover
• Prepare a monthly turnover document for photography team outlining product features and attributes as well as setting and staging requirements.
• Supply samples for monthly photoshoots
• Collaborate with the photography team in helping to execute efficiently.
• When needed; be available during physical photography on site.
• Prepare a creative turnover document for the creative copy team for each month’s Live Date List identifying the product name, key attributes, colors and descriptions, functionality, occasion, etc. This information is critical as it will be used for the creative team to write copy accentuating the best product details.
• Once the copy has been completed, work with your Merchandising counter-part to review all copy blocks for relevancy, accuracy, and salability.
Live Date List
• Ensure all commercialized product go live according to the Live Date List (LDL).
• Review start and end dates, retails, names – making certain they are accurate.
• Follow-up with the photography team insuring that all photography has been executed and status of images are approved
• Proper names have been listed and have been checked through legal for trademark approval.
• Execute all deliverables on time to ensure timely deliveries on all products
• Be mindful of execution dates by quarter for overseas and domestic deliveries.
• Gross Margin Targets
• Sales Targets
• Incentive Purchases
• Discount Negotiations
• Product Optimization Strategies
• Product Exit Strategies
Category Manager Skills and Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree or above
• Minimal of 3 years of experience with a successful track record in buying, product development and commercialization, consumer data analysis, business negotiations and sourcing, gross-margin analysis, and copy and photography.
• Ability to manage others effectively and collaboratively
• Thrives in a fast-paced, results- driven, entrepreneurial environment
• Motivated self-starter and successful project manager
• Strong relationship manager and excellent people skills
• Market and business savvy with strong negotiation skills
• Sense of urgency and ability to meet deadlines
• Awareness of manufacturing process, costing, and sourcing
• Excellent mathematical and analytical skills
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
• Travel required to relevant domestic trade shows and drop-ship vendors.