Job descriptionDesign Director
Our client is looking for an influential leader to play a key role in driving enormous customer-centered value and join us on our journey toward rapid growth. They are searching for a Design Director to be the right hand, a trusted and confident person, to the CBO/Creative Director.
The Design Director needs to be a mature, creative problem solver with a strong managerial background in CPG. You are as comfortable presenting to a Marketing Director as you are to a retail partner. You have experience working with epic story creators, from copy writers to video directors, and have strong writing skills yourself.
This full time, hybrid role in Van Buys, CA will oversee a full 360, in-house, design and production teams of 9 in LA with weekly production supervision of assets in Hong Kong and China.
Design Director Responsibilities:
- Help lead the global creative vision for the company in alignment with marketing, product development, and digital strategies and business objectives.
- Concept, design, and produce engaging strategic content and creative assets across a range of brand projects and touchpoints, including video, social and influencer campaigns, marketing and promotional, email, print, branding and logo design, packaging, media and PR programs, and whatever comes next.
- Communicate and interact well with team members and supervisors across multiple departments.
- Work closely and build relationships with Brand Marketing, Global Marketing, Product Development, Ecommerce, and Social Media teams to drive the creative strategy across the Company.
- Ensure that brand and visual identity is consistently applied to all collateral and marketing materials across the company.
- Drive creative consistency into global markets in packaging and digital platforms.
- Ensure consistent application and governance of the brand style guides, internally and externally.
- In collaboration with the CBO/Creative Director, provide the vision for photography and direct all photography efforts for use in packaging, social media, and Ecommerce.
- Ensure execution of a thoughtful creative strategy and positive user interface across multiple digital platforms.
- Manage a team of designers by demonstrating enthusiasm for the creative landscape and new technologies; and contributing strong, inspirational, and relevant creative thinking.
- Ensure the Creative Team delivers on business objectives.
Design Director Qualifications:
- 10 plus years of experience in a managerial role for design teams at a hypergrowth consumer startup or beloved CPG brand.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- You feel at your best in a team environment
- You are a curious, patient leader who thrives coaching young designers and illustrators in daily crit sessions
- You understand the nuances and value of the critical role of right hand to a C-Suite.
- You are a well-seasoned, graceful giver and receiver of feedback.
- You are crystal clear, transparent, and confident communicating (presenting and selling-in) creative ideas, their rationale, and the specifics of the solutions.
- Killer design chops with Advanced Adobe Creative Suite skills, including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects, and ability to evaluate future tools for team productivity.
- You have familiarity with Word, Excel and embrace the reality that Power-Point is a necessary and powerful design tool.
- Animation and video production and are well versed in the language of the internet and social.
- You have impeccable taste in and appreciation for the role of music as a story telling backdrop for motion.
- Demonstrated ability to concept across a variety of mediums including social, digital, print, audio, experiential and whatever comes next.
- A tried-and-true Rolodex of vendors to lend a hand when needed from copy writers to stylists to video directors and editors.
- Social fluency and a solid understanding of how to drive conversation and engagement across social channels.
- Strong communication design sensibilities and an understanding of how composition, information hierarchy, color theory and typography work together to drive home a message.
- Proven creativity in the Ecommerce space is preferred.
- Ability to prioritize and manage work, adhering to critical project timelines in a fast-paced environment.