We are looking for an experienced, extraordinary Director of Product Design who is passionate about spearheading the development of compelling and innovative STEAM products for kids.
What We're Looking For:
- Has a mechanical engineering background
- Product Designers own the process from beginning to end
- Someone that will manage and be a leader
- This person will manage a lot of ecommerce store and products
-They will be managing a lot of products across age groups
- Needs to understand how the products will be cohesive
- This candidate needs to be local to the bay area
-Needs to be able to mentor team
-This person needs to be innovative, ideas and pushing the team along
-No specific software's required, need to be proficient in Adobe, illustrator
-They will be managing 4-5 people
-This person needs to be able to be hands on but can also see the bigger picture
Role and Responsibilities:
- You are a strategic thinker who rolls up your sleeves to get things done.
- You have built and nurtured loved consumer products, cultivated high performing teams, and managed a high bar for quality standards.
- You’re a tireless champion for the customer and the company's brand.
- You are inherently curious and creative.
- You look for better ways of approaching problem solving, get energized by tough problems, and like collaborating with others to get things done.
- Own the strategy and execution of translating the company's brand to our physical subscription lines
- Create innovative product lines that exceed customer expectations, while pushing the boundaries of what can fit into a 3”x7”x10” crate.
- Build and lead an exceptional product design team.
- Mentor and grow the team, while ensuring consistency and alignment.
- Manage a team of junior and mid-level product designers.
- Establish product vision and direction, while efficiently and effectively drive project timelines.
- Maintain a high bar for quality around all products designed by the team.
- Also ensure that the suppliers maintain the same standards in manufacturing.
- Develop processes and systems that scale.
- Actively seek areas of continuous improvement.
- Work in a highly iterative and collaborative way, directly alongside sourcing, editorial, graphic design, and marketing.
As a start-up celebrating creativity and development, we believe and encourage the same in our team. We seek team players with an infectious positive energy, great initiative, and a get-it-done attitude. Candidates must thrive in ambiguity and love a rapid pace. You must have a strong desire to learn and improve. Excellent organizational, communications, and multi-tasking skills are musts.
Required Skills and Qualifications Include:
- 10-15+ years of designing physical products.
- You have experience with all aspects of the product development process, from conception through to a finished product.
- You are passionate about the design process and tirelessly pursue excellence in design & consumer experience.
- Passionate about kids, creativity, and early childhood development.
- You love bringing a spark to a child’s eye as they learn something fun and new.
- Proven record of innovation.
- Ability to think creatively and critically - understand how to balance business objectives with user needs.
- Think outside the box, yet put yourself in customers’ shoes
- Broad operating range. Thinks strategically and has a love for detail and product design.
- Understands how to develop and communicate a vision for a product line, while also having the experience and ability to give constructive feedback on a specific product
- Design leadership.
- Experienced in building, mentoring and leading a high-performing team of product designers.
- Able to lead across the entire product life cycle and multiple product launches.
- Able to prioritize and manage resources against project timelines and deliverable dates.
- Exceptional communication skills. Ability to clearly explain product decisions to business partners (marketing, inventory management, editorial, graphic design, eCommerce teams).
- Experience in an entrepreneurial startup environment
- Experience with children’s products If you’re passionate about delivering innovative, delightful, and enriching products and experiences for kids, we’d love to hear from you.