Our client is seeking an experienced Model Shop Technician for their LA office(on-site.) Reporting to the Model Shop Manager this person will be responsible for project intake, schedule management, digital asset validation, part fabrication, deco application, and assembly of models of varying complexity. The role requires a strong understanding of model making and manufacturing techniques as well as advanced experience using rapid prototyping equipment such as 3D Printers and CNC’s to build, repair, and troubleshoot prototypes.
• Project management for sprint projects including clarifying scope, deliverables, and timeline.
• Develop toy prototypes providing mechanical, tinkering, and material expertise.
• Translate digital designs (2D and/or 3D assets) into fully functional prototypes.
• Apply advanced Model Making techniques to assemble, test, and debug complex assemblies.
• Utilize 3D Modeling Software to modify components and develop simple mechanisms.
• Operate equipment including 3D Printers, CNC, lathe, drill press, band saw, ect.
• Provide employees with technical assistance and guidance for developing or repairing prototypes.
• Work with a cross functional team operating under tight deadlines and competing priorities.
• Provide feedback and insight to design helping improve manufacturability of prototypes.
• Promote and maintain a clean, safe, and organized working environment.
• Maintain knowledge and best practices on existing equipment and new prototyping technologies.
• Support management inventory for consumable supplies.
• 5+ years of Advanced Model making experience related to Robotics, Animatronics, and/or relevant Consumer Products
• Toy experience an asset but not necessary. Consumer product experience is a must.
• Experience with 3D modelling software such as Solidworks, Creo/Pro-E, or Rhino3D an asset.
• Freeform sculpting experience desirable as well as digital painting experience for colour prints.
• Highly organized and able to multi-task and prioritize competing demands
• Ability to read design illustrations/specifications/briefs along with 2D isometric views or 3D assets to build and debug a physical proof-of-concept model
• Brings a "hands-on" team approach to solving problems
• Ability to provide strong results based mechanical solutions for effective and efficient product function
• Experience working with creative professionals (designers and engineers) both within and outside the company
• Strong interpersonal, and communication skills
• Ability to travel internationally and within North America