About the Role
You’re a highly motivated, organized writer with obsessive attention to detail. You believe that brands should have personalities and those personalities should feel fun, inspirational, and approachable. You think strategically about every project and look at content from all angles. This Copywriter II role is responsible for drumming up smart, product-proud, on-brand copy for a variety of promotional marketing collateral. Working independently and in collaboration with other writers, designers, marketers, and brand managers, you will help support our promo creative team by writing sale- and promo-focused copy for online, app, in-store, and social channels.
The Copywriter II will also assist in writing customer loyalty copy for our programs as needed, and work on special projects that arise as the result of continually evolving needs of the business.
• Must be accountable, delivering copy on time and with consistently high quality.
• Must be efficient, able to manage own workload across multiple projects and deadlines.
• Must be witty, easily adopting the unique brand voice.
• Must be curious, learning consumer insights and the needs of individual vehicles to provide on-strategy copy.
• Must play well with others, collaborating with cross-functional partners to execute projects, including marketers, designers, and writers.
• Must be a multi-hyphenate, delivering brand-appropriate, customer-facing language through in-store signage and navigation, product naming, promotional eventizing, and brand-defining vehicles.
• Proof-read design comps and printer's proofs.
• Self-edit and proofread manuscripts prior to delivery.
• Ensure accuracy of product information and price points.
• Prioritize and manage workload.
• Work independently to anticipate problems before they arise; find solutions and follow-up on own initiative.
• Protect business by ensuring copy has stylistic, account, and legal approvals.
• Continually ascertain workflow efficiency and accurate completion of jobs according to preset timelines. Reports to Editorial Manager. Partners cross-functionally with Design, Marketing, Brand Marketing, Project Management, Digital Operations, Strategy, and Merchandising.
*Who you are*
• Minimum educational level: BA preferred
• Current and evolving sense of pop culture and fashion trends
• Mastery of brand-driven social media vehicles, including Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook
• Ability to create and execute a broad creative copy vision and write in an editorial voice
• Good interpersonal skills with an ability to communicate clearly and concisely
• Excellent editing skills with on-the-job proofreading experience
• Articulate thinker with a sense of humor and an ability to take creative direction, react quickly, and interact productively during brainstorming sessions and kick-off meetings
• Mastery of the English language
• Excellent creative writing skills
• 2+ years retail, social media, copywriting, or editorial experience
• Knowledge of marketing materials and processes
• Write advertising copy to promote sale of goods and services by presenting information in an appealing, informative, concise and easy to understand manner by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following.
• Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs.
1. Communicate with internal and external customers for the best possible product presentation.
2. Read/analyze technical information for each new product, and any existing products, for presentation in catalog and Internet.
3. Observe the product in use, examine it, and use it when possible, to gain understanding.
4. Attend all meetings related to catalog and Internet production, taking good notes on product and process. Write for all products on assigned pages for each catalog and for the Internet.
5. Adjust all products and other copy to meet the needs of customers, marketing and management.
6. Working knowledge of computers and aptitude to learn new programs.
7. Track the progress of assigned pages throughout catalog process and track progress of products on Internet.
8. Organize workload for efficient time-management.
9. Meet multiple schedule deadlines on time.
10. Write other types of documents such as news releases, letters of response, personal interviews, items for other departments, instruction manuals, etc.
11. Read and maintain a library of current reference materials.
12. Review copy using checklist and format copy according to department style guide.
13. Check questionable details.
14. Maintain accurate information in product files.
15. Proofread and edit as necessary.
16. Assist team leader and other copywriters as needed.
17. Perform various clerical duties as needed.
18. Consider laws governing copy such as registered and trademarked symbols, country of origin and material construction.
• To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty well.
• The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required.
• Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Education: Minimum of BA in English, Journalism, Advertising, Marketing or related field of study Professional Experience: