Job Purpose: Responsible for divisional merchandising for tops, and managing to production.
- Responsible for managing the merchandise and design timing calendars, seasonal line plans, product pricing, initial gross margins, and inventory.
- Responsible for the production and development for the division in partnership with the Division President and Head Designer. Partner and coordinate with design regarding overall concept/product development: fit, color direction, artwork, fabric sourcing and selection, and packaging.
- Create a final line plan seasonally to present to the Vice President and design prior to product development. Partner with design regarding the line plan, i.e. fabric selection, silhouette selection, washing standards, piece goods pricing, and timing.
- Research, communicate and gather target market information regarding trends, reactions, comments, and needs. Provide Design team with market analysis & sales feedback.
- Shop domestic markets to better understand competition, pricing, sourcing options, and trends.
- Travel to Hong Kong to facilitate line adoption meetings. Travel to trade shows and New York sales meetings as required.
- Prepare for sales meetings and line releases seasonally to include samples on time, acceptable initial gross margins, cut-off dates, and timing of delivery. Educate Sales Teams in partnership with Sales Manger and Head Designer on new line and concepts.
- Monitor design, merchandising and sample budgets. Audit monthly financial statements and research any discrepancies.
- Responsible for finalizing fabric development and ensure fabric meets the price points. Obtain fabric pricing & book sample fabric.
- Coordinate “special needs” packaging for product identification.
- Train, develop and manage a skilled, stable team in merchandising & production. Provide superior leadership, training and development of staff. Facilitate performance review counseling as required.
- Plan production capacity and production calendars. Work with Sales and Management to allocate production by fabric and style. Place purchases in relation to sales, minimizing inventory and keeping to planned deliveries and gross margin.
- Oversee and manage on-time delivery for seasonal contracts. Resolve production issues as required. Elevate high level production issues to Vice President.
- Set up and review costing. Negotiate as needed. Maintain initial gross margin.
- Oversee and manage inventory system information for product category.
- Maintain and address corporate quality control standards. Review receipts and follow up on any claims.
- Prepare for each new season’s sales meeting and market releases and present the woven & knit tops product category to sales during sales meetings. Manage the costing, computer set-up, and linesheets for accuracy.
- Coordinate with Customer Service, agents, and warehouse issues related to customer compliance and other special needs.
- Participate in fabric and line development. Provide and maintain costing and fabric details. Keep sample line list updated.
- Monitor and control product availability.
- Participate in design production fittings to ensure corrections reflect what is being sold.
- Communicate with Sales regarding property marks, deliveries, special needs and handling, and line updates.
- Monitor on-time sales samples
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Minimum of five years retail buying or wholesale merchandising/production experience.
- Proven ability to manage profitable production for a division.
- Ability to understand and research current and future market trends for the Youngmen’s market, specifically for knit and woven tops.
- Strong understanding of product development regarding fabric, color and style for knits and woven tops applications for a Youngmen’s target market.
- College degree in Business, Clothing or Textiles or equivalent work experience.
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Ability to organize and maintain merchandising/production department systems.
- PC proficiency with computers to include Microsoft Word, Excel, and E-mail.
- Ability to travel to international and domestic markets.