The Merchandise Planner will develop strategic merchandise plans to maximize sales and to meet financial objectives through the analysis of sales trends and forecasts. The Planner will lead open-to-buy meetings with the Director of Merchandising, providing strategic and analytical support to ensure the achievement of sales gross margin, and key financial goals.
Examples of Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Partner with merchants to develop and propose business tactics in response to current business trends, advising them on open-to-buy, optimum unit purchasing, etc.
• Forecast the sales levels of store clusters based on historical sales trends and advises on allocations by location.
• Analyze and assess the sales performance of product categories; revise in-season plans accordingly to maximize sales and profitability
• Routinely present recommendations and other analysis to senior leadership and executive management related to driving short and long-term business goals including hind-sights, color/pattern selling, etc.
• Develops pre-season top-down/bottom-up level plans for sales, inventory, markdowns and margin in partnership with the Director of Merchandising.
• Conducts in-season reforecast of category unit plans/dollar plans, focusing on future opportunities as well as minimizing sales/inventory risks.
• Recap end-of-season best-sellers by category.
• Provides Ad Hoc reports for various departments
Skills and Qualifications
• Strong PC proficiency with a strong emphasis in Excel
• 2--5 years' professional experience in corporate retail; experience with an apparel specialty retailer a plus.
• Strong problem-solving and analytical skills; strong aptitude with numbers
• Ability to manage time and workload effectively with flexibility to shift focus/priorities
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction