JOB DESCRIPTION – Packaging Engineer
• Design, develop & test a variety of structural packaging to achieve CSP (Cost, Schedule & Performance) per standards, branding objectives and project plan.
• Provide leadership to improve the development & evaluation processes and to develop best practices in the area of packaging creation.
• Provide technical leadership in developing retail/consumer packages to support new products, package improvements, package refreshes and cost reduction.
• Provide creative leadership that fosters use of cutting edge technologies and innovative design approaches in structural packaging solutions for consumer market. 2.0
• Work directly with each graphic designer to translate brand & marketing requirements into innovative, functional packaging structure designs for new and existing products, using paperboard, corrugated, vacuum-formed plastic, blisters and other materials for best possible shelf appeal
• Perform preliminary package feasibilities to determine proper package size, package style and affordability
• Evaluate structural package designs for cost effectiveness, considering material options, global sourcing, manufacturability, pallet and container utilization, etc.
• Evaluate pre-production and production samples to ensure material quality and product placement are as specified
• Generate timely, accurate, manufacturable die-lines for graphic development
• Document all packaging, including conceptual, manufacturing, assembly, interior protective packaging/insert, planogram and pallet configuration drawings, MS Project spreadsheets documenting all package parts, elements and contents, and Package Update Memos documenting changes/updates
• Create package samples as needed for brand, marketing, graphic mockups, sales and product fit assessment
• Maintain knowledge of new packaging technologies and trends related to design, materials, treatments and machinery in order to drive innovation and functionality
• Collaborate with local and overseas manufacturing and quality engineers to ensure parties are aligned on all issues related to ongoing projects
• Monitor current package designs for improvements in quality and cost
• Seek opportunities to cost-reduce existing packaging for “carry-over” products while maintaining “perceived value”
• Manage several brands simultaneously and effectively 3.0 Reporting Lines 3.1 This position reports to Mike French 4.0
Required Skill Sets:
• Intermediate to advanced skill with ArtiosCAD program, with experience producing manufactured retail packages, including concept, assembly, interior protective packaging/insert, planogram and pallet configuration drawings
• Intermediate skill with Illustrator and Photoshop
• Intermediate to advanced skill with Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook
• Portfolio of past structural designs
• Able and willing to travel as required
• Strong presentation skills, highly organized, attention to detail
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Able to handle multiple projects simultaneously
• Proactive thinker and problem solver
• Able to deal with changing priorities
• Ability to finish a project on time
• Good follow through skills
• Positive and strong personality
• Exceptional time management skills 5.0
Required Qualifications & Experience:
• Proven track record with minimum 3 years in design and development of high-quality, innovative packaging using ArtiosCAD, preferably within the toy industry
• Working knowledge of corrugate, paperboard, blister and related packaging: o materials, costs, printing, manufacturing and assembly processes
-Intermediate to advanced skill with ArtiosCAD
-Ability to work remote with reliable internet connection. No time line on when we will work in the office yet.
-Toy Experience with portfolio of past designs