SUMMARY A Packaging Engineer’s primary task is developing a range of packaging concepts in coordination with the finalized products or materials, so that the packaging is compatible with project time and budget requirements. They work with all internal teams to evaluate packaging requirements at all developmental phases. To be successful in the position, the Packaging Engineer will mainly focus on development of effective designs to create packaging that is functional, cost effective, and fits a project’s brief. This involves generating ideas and concepts, testing different designs, working with internal teams during the manufacturing process, and reviewing the efficiency of the final packaging.
Packaging engineers are creative problem-solvers who can overcome a design’s potential obstacles. Applicants for this job must be great communicators who work well as part of a team and can spot potential pitfalls in a design. Packaging engineers prepare designs using the latest technology to ensure the best transition between the design and manufacturing processes.
• Acts as a supportive interface between Creative, Estimating, Purchasing, Project Manager(s), Production, Sales, and Fulfillment.
• Collaborates in the packaging design process from ideation to production to ensure packaging concepts are optimized for manufacturing and cost constraints while elevating our overall packaging design concepts.
• Generates preliminary packaging die line drawings as sketches, 2D, or 3D and material specifications to use for quoting and art placement.
• Builds physical prototypes on the CAD table for testing purposes to ensure manufacturability.
• Coordinates specifications with outside vendors for prototypes and production when necessary.
• Provides technical support and incorporates feedback throughout the creative, quoting, and manufacturing processes.
• Review packaging samples from suppliers for technical and aesthetic approval. Confirm the correct die has been used and sign off that the specs used are approved.
• Produces final, ready-to-manufacturer design files when implementing overseas manufacturing.
• Evaluate consumer and market trends for packaging materials, environmental impact, and sustainability.
• Create standards and packaging guidelines as we continue to grow.
• Other duties. Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
• Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and deal with all levels of staff, customers, suppliers, and operations.
• Strong time management, critical thinking, monitoring, organization, coordination, independent judgment, decision-making skills, and process improvement skills.
• Demonstrated background in structural packaging design principles and theory.
• Experience in a variety of packaging solutions including turned edge, corrugate, folded carton, foam, plastics, wood, and thermoforming.
• Interpret technical drawings and customer specifications.
• Generate die lines and specifications for briefing estimating, purchasing, production, or 3rd party vendors.
• Demonstrated success handling multiple priorities in changing environments.
• Troubleshoot and successfully resolve problems.
• Demonstrated CAD or structural packaging design software like Esko Artios CAD, Cape Pack, Solidworks, Arden Impact, Kasemake, or EngView Packaging Suite.
• Proficiency utilizing a CAD cutting table to prototype and validate designs.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint with a main emphasis in Excel.
• Proficiency in Adobe CC Suite.
• Develop proficiency in Monarch.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION REQUIRED:
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Packaging Engineering/Science or Industrial Design and/ or 3+ years of progressive experience as a Packaging Engineer.
• Experience in turned edge, corrugated, and folding carton manufacturing.
• Experience in product or influencer packaging.
• Experience and or education in the printing industry with exposure to electronic prepress, print production, customer service, and leadership and/or management is preferred.
• CPIT or CPP Certification from the Institute of Packaging Professionals a plus
SALARY RANGE: Depends on skills and experience.
REPORTS TO: Creative Director
SCHEDULE/ SHIFT: This is a full-time position. Monday-Friday, 8:00AM to 5:00PM (May require working evenings and weekends depending on workload
*This position is onsite at Premier Press in Portland, OR
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and move up to 5 pounds and occasionally lift and move objects up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Premier Press is an equal opportunity employer who values an inclusive and diverse community. Qualified candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Premier Press also promotes a drug-free workplace as well as pre-employment drug screening and a background check are required prior to hiring.