Job responsibilities will split time to support the payroll and financial accounting functions. Responsible for maintaining the integrity and accuracy of the payroll process including analysis and preparation while ensuring compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal wage and hour laws. Provide support in the accounting department performing responsibilities related to various accounting tasks, preparing schedules, reconciliations, and reporting.
It is essential for all employees to adhere to Company policies.
A. Implement, maintain, and review payroll processing and accounting system to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes, and other deductions. Responsible for the auditing and analytical activities involved in maintaining the accuracy and integrity of payroll.
B. Work in conjunction with the Human Resource Department to ensure accurate and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, terminations, direct deposits, and changes to pay rates.
C. Process manual/out of cycle payroll checks for terminations, special payments, commissions, bonuses, etc.
D. Ensure garnishments and other statutory mandated deductions are processed accurately which may include coordination and interaction with federal and state agencies.
E. Reconciles UltiPro payroll auditing reports to local, state, and federal forms including, but not limited to monthly, quarterly and year end filings.
F. Maintains expert working knowledge of proper taxation of employer paid benefits and best practices.
G. Identifies and recommends updates to payroll processing software, systems, and procedures.
H. Completes year-end W-2 process.
I. Record payroll journal entries for wages, benefits, employer’s taxes, payroll, and vacation accrual, etc. Calculate and record month end wage and PTO accruals.
J. Reconciles and reviews cash receipts and disbursements including bank reconciliation.
K. Prepares monthly account schedules and reconciliations to ensure accurate reporting and ledger maintenance.
L. Supports external audit requests by providing account analyses and support for selections.
M. Develop, document and update working procedures related to functional responsibilities.
N. Collaborate and provide direction to employees, internal teams, and managers to resolve issues and recommend process improvements.
O. Research and prepare headcount, compensation or adhoc reporting to management and finance team.
P. Assist with other accounting related tasks and duties as needed.
- Collaborates – Build partnerships and work collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Communicates effectively – Develop and deliver a variety of communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Customer focus – Build strong customer relationships and deliver customer-centric solutions.
- Decision quality – Make good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Ensures accountability – Hold self and others accountable to meet commitments.
- Financial acumen – Interpret and apply understanding of key financial indicators to make better business decisions.
- Instills trust – Gain the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Interpersonal savvy – Relating openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people.
- Manages ambiguity – Operate effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Manages complexity – Make sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Optimizes work processes – Know the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Self-development – Actively seek new ways to grow and be challenged using both formal and informal development channels.
Education and/or Experience:
A. A combination of applicable work experience and college level course work in accounting may be substituted.
B. Payroll certification and advanced payroll training preferred.
C. Minimum of three years’ experience processing payroll for 300+ employees required; multi-state experience preferred.
D. Thorough knowledge of and experience with local, state, and federal payroll laws.
E. Experience with Ultipro HRIS preferred.
F. Excellent analytical and organization skills with strong attention to detail.
G. Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
H. Effectively problem solve, prioritize, and follow through on assignments and projects.
I. Ability to exercise independent judgment and maintain strict confidentiality.
J. Work independently and possess a high level of self-motivation and initiative.
K. Strong time management skills with the ability to handle multiple jobs and adapt to a rapidly changing work environment with fluctuating priorities and tight deadlines.