The Senior Manager of Product Development's primary responsibility is to develop a pipeline of formula and packaging innovations that meets the brand’s needs.
The Senior Manager, Product Development works with third-party manufacturers (of formulas and packaging components) and internal teams (creative, operations, packaging, marketing, sales, education) to define innovations and manage the products during the New Product Development cycle from ideation to final formula and packaging look. The Senior Manager, Product Development Manager ensures high quality, on trend, on time product launches and develops contingency plans to ensure projects launch successfully.
Product Briefing / Competitive
- Input on formulation and packaging briefs from Global Marketing VP and Global Marketing Manager to develop pipeline of innovations. Includes sensorials, ingredients, benefits, pay-off, formats
- Work with third party manufacturers to deliver formula and packaging briefs with Global Marketing VP and marketing manager
- Stay up to date on competitive launches to ensure innovation is industry leading and capitalizing on consumer’s needs
- Stays informed of consumer-packaged goods industry developments and regularly advise management of potential new vendors, tools, materials, processes, and techniques to improve our innovations
Formula & Packaging Development & Management
- Lead coordination of innovation submissions and feedback from key team members to ensure brief is met and brand formulation POV is incorporated into development of products
- Keep detailed information files on all development related projects including formula, packaging and ingredient updates and innovations. Relay approval and revision communications to packaging vendor clearly and efficiently
- Maintain all control samples, review incoming product submissions for color, texture, and performance accuracy. Communicate revisions and approvals to formulators
- Receive and review all incoming preproduction primary packaging samples to ensure compatibility with formula
- This includes providing management with recommendations for componentry and suppliers, managing and negotiating pricing and reviewing functionality and quality of incoming samples.
- Collaborate with VP of Global Marketing and VP of Operations to diversify product formulators, fillers, primary packaging, and secondary packaging
- Coordinate with education to make shade recommendations
- Work with 3PMs to ensure clear communication of formulation philosophy - free froms, added ingredients, required testing – is completed.
- Track critical PD milestones and deadlines to ensure innovation is delivered on time and in full
Testing / Claims:
- Work with 3PMs to ensure proper testing is completed for new innovations in compliance with brand and launch needs
- Work with Regulatory Affairs on incoming internal questions pertaining to formulations, ingredient function and product claims.
Ingredients / Features & Benefits
- Work with 3PMs to receive, input on, and approve Ingredient Lists
- Coordinate with creative, packaging and operations to ensure product details are included in packaging artwork and registration
- Draft product, ingredients and packaging features and benefits for marketing manager
- Input on products and/or shades to be sampled and how best to sample them
- Work with operations to ensure on time delivery of formula sales samples
- Work with creative to ensure on time delivery of formula and product needed for photoshoots
Post-production Quality Control:
- Retain and evaluate samples (via operations) to validate quality of product, sensorials, and shades from line trials and final production
- BA/BS degree
- 4-8 years’ experience in formula and packaging development
- Must have experience managing third-party manufacturing partners
- Makeup development experience is a must - strong preference for clean beauty product development
- Experience in managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills