Our digital agency client is looking for a fulltime Senior Copywriter to join the team and focus on a global sportswear client account.
The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years of Copywriting experience with well-known brands, and be comfortable in a client-facing role, and be happy to work onsite occasionally in downtown Portland.
As a Senior Copywriter, you'll communicate directly with the client to ensure that messaging is precise and their voice is clear. You will craft compelling digital messaging that helps readers connect with our client and their products. And you will support fellow writers in doing the same, while collaborating with designers, developers, and account managers to create strong and effective projects.
You should care intensely about your work without conflating work ego with personal ego. While you'll be working closely with clients, our agency's integrated teams collaborate equally and share accountability, in success and failure alike.
As a person, you are:
- Driven by creativity, curiosity, and problem-solving
- A strong and approachable communicator (including being an active, present listener) - A wiz at tailoring communications to specific audiences
- Well versed in writing short- and long-form copy with clarity, nuance, and substance
- Able to find inspiration in—and bring enthusiasm to—both production work and conceptual projects
- Alert to the difference between opinion and research-informed solutions
- Good at receiving and giving critical feedback in a constructive, open, and active way
- A self-starting worker who can lead projects, mentor others, and edit work as needed
- Highly skilled in English grammar, syntax, structure, etc.
- Allergic to lazy writing and jargon
- Write intelligent and thoughtful marketing copy in the service of specific campaigns, business goals, and great user experience
- Represent our department in briefings and client meetings to ensure our work meets client needs while exceeding their expectations
- Set the bar for consistency in style, supreme quality, and on-point tone of voice
- Mentor other members of the Writing Team, imparting knowledge and best practices to grow their skillset
- Find opportunity in creative constraints (sometimes-mad deadlines, incomplete briefs, odd client requests, etc.)
- Research unfamiliar topics to write as if you're an expert on the subject
- Apply the same level of care to production work as you do conceptual brand work - Absorb extra work in a pinch, maintaining the bar, no matter the pace of play - Collaborate with low ego
- Nail deadlines
- Ask—and answer—lots of questions
- Substantive writing portfolio demonstrating your written work for real-world clients (sport performance/sportswear brands are a bonus)
-5+ years of professional and project-based copywriting experience (or equivalent experience)
- BA in English, journalism, advertising, marketing, or related field of study (or equivalent experience)
- Demonstrated experience with the design process, critiques, and design thinking