Senior Ruby on Rails Developer NEED ASAP!
Here's the deal; before our clients hire us, they've often already invested a lot of time, energy, and money into having custom web applications developed to help them solve their business challenges. They come to us looking for a team to provide dependable support and maintenance of their existing Ruby on Rails projects. We do this in the form of recurring retainers where we take care of small feature updates, bug fixes, performance improvements, chipping away at their technical debt, and helping them experiment as they navigate forward as a business.
What we rarely do is spin up brand new web applications for them. We learned years ago that we perform better and are more successful developing long-term client relationships rather than working on one-off builds, so we stopped competing on those projects.
The tradeoff? We get to build lasting partnerships with our clients and have some influence on how they're planning for the life of their web applications.
So, if you're the type of developer that really enjoys shiny, new things (and/or pitching entire app rewrites), this probably isn't the position for you.
But if you're the type of developer that enjoys jumping into the deep end of complex projects, helping iterate and improve software, taking on responsibility, and being given opportunities to help lead projects, then we should talk.
Our Core Values
? PROACTIVE - We actively seek opportunities to improve our client’s products, our processes, and our abilities.
? CURIOUS - A natural curiosity for the undiscovered results in remarkable work for our clients and stronger connections for our team. We ask questions, learn, and aren't afraid to fail.
? DEPENDABLE - We are invested in our work. We manage expectations. We support our clients and teammates. We hold ourselves, our teammates, and our clients accountable.
? VERSATILE - We readily adapt to change and encourage innovation because our team and work are transparent and flexible.
? DELIGHTFUL - We choose to set a mindful, positive tone that allows everyone to flourish.
We are a small team and wear many hats. As a senior developer, you'll be expected to mentor more junior level devs, lead meetings with clients, help evaluate potential new hires, and contribute to our blog or be a guest on our podcast.
What you'll typically be focused on...
- Participating in short daily stand-ups to outline what you completed yesterday and are aiming to accomplish today
- Jumping between ~2-5 client projects/week (sometimes a few each day)
- Keeping an eye out for your teammates. Perhaps you could lend them a hand to tackle a challenge and/or vice versa
- Getting your head wrapped around a subset of our client projects and their business goals
- Partnering up with your project manager to figure out how to best prioritize your work this coming week
- Collaborating with your team members to help with projects, including planning, estimating, coding, testing, and bug fixing
- Documenting the tricks and lessons you learn to share with the dev community on our blog
- Asking clients for clarification on requirements that you aren't sure that you understand
- Being an advocate for the long-term health and maintainability of our client's projects
- Saying, "I don't know yet, but I'll help figure it out!" to clients and peers
- Improving the overall test coverage of our client projects
- Performing code reviews on your teammate's pull-requests
- Sharing praise when someone on the team does something amazing
- Helping out with DevOps/sysadmin tasks
- Sending your code for peer review
- Stumbling across possible fixes in API docs, Stack Overflow, and Github issues
- Taking advantage of our flextime scheduling to swing by the gym, go for a run before the rain starts, or sit in the park with a book
- Communicating directly with clients to help define features and suggest improvements to existing applications
- Writing, refactoring, and improving our client's web applications and APIs
- Sending clients a link to a staging environment so they can test out your changes before you deploy to production
- Deploying code to staging and production environments
- Tracking time for our client work so that we can pay our bills
- Appreciating when your teammates share their failures with you
- Sitting down with interns and junior developers to hone your mentoring skills
- Noticing inefficiencies in our existing processes and taking note to raise then at our next team meeting
- Architecting solutions to technical problems and then delegating tasks to implement those solutions to your teammates
- Adding useful information to the README files that will help your teammates
- Carving out a little time each week to try out some new tools
- Preparing a 5-to-10-minute talk on how to use said new tool for our next company workshop series
- Sharing useful links with your peers in Slack
- Helping us become a better version of ourselves than we were yesterday
- 5+ years of experience with Ruby on Rails
- Ability to convey your thoughts and ideas verbally and in writing with a delightful and competent tone
- Experience collaborating with clients, stakeholders, and decision makers
- Deep understanding of how SQL databases work and how to navigate them
- Comfortable with an Apple Mac environment (maybe you even like to dabble with Linux?)
- Proficient in Git and able to help others with rebasing, merge conflicts, etc.
- Experience writing automated tests for Ruby on Rails apps
- Using Capistrano, Git, etc., to handle Rails deployments
- Experience leading workshops or client presentations
- Knowledge of HTML and understanding of CSS/Sass
- Experience with AWS and Heroku
- Knowledge of software design patterns and experience with implementation
Responses from freelancers, design studios or recruiters offering their services will be ignored.
- Medical & dental insurance (PLANET ARGON pays 80% of premium)
- SIMPLE IRA with 3% of employee salary match
- Paid vacation that increases with your length of employment; (15 days accrued the first year, 20 days after the first year, and 25 days after three years)
- Five days of sick time each calendar year
- Six paid holidays yearly
- Company and employee performance-based bonus structure
- Participation in our flexible work time policies
We will perform background checks and request professional references from finalist candidates.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.