About the Role
As a Designer, you will craft a unique and cohesive voice for our brand. You will report into the Senior Designer, work closely with the Design Team, and partner with cross functional team members who collectively are responsible for creating innovative product that is famous for its sustainable technical beauty.
What You’ll Do
· Research global markets to identify new trends, silhouettes, fabrics, techniques, craft, collaborations, sport, and wellness; filtered for Girl’s activewear and performance lifestyle.
· Informed by Design Team needs, deliver seasonal (4X per year) perspectives, while simultaneously driving long lead explorations and high-level brand strategy exploration.
· Understanding key technologies across all categories (outerwear, seamless, bras, swim, activewear, performance lifestyle, lounge/restore, etc.); identify and carve out distinct paths within each, highlighting and celebrating their unique capabilities.
· Drive Youth-focused innovation in a performance led, aesthetically driven approach.
· Balance fashion & trend within the line plan - drive core category evolution and development of emerging businesses opportunities.
· Partner with Art Team on prints and graphics that integrate and interpret styles in a considered way; approach with youthful eye to keep girls and tweens engaged.
· Partner with Tech Design to integrate silhouette and fit trends while prioritizing youth-focused comfort and function; pre-fit prototypes (ensuring fit intent, styling, constructions); participate in regular fittings.
· Participate in the conceptual development of the collection, and advocate design ideas by presenting to multiple audiences (internal leaders as well as cross-functional partners).
· Partner with Design Lead and Product Engineering to elevate craft techniques and design language as well as contribute to long lead innovation projects put forth by brand strategies.
· Partner with Product Engineering to create tech packs and communicate vision behind fit & design, ensuring execution, quality, and desired margin targets.
· Sketch in 2D with Illustrator software; hand sketching a plus; 3D software knowledge advantageous (CLO, Browzwear, Optitex).
· Exhibit self and team leadership, growth and development.
Who You Are
· Dynamic, team-oriented attitude; positive energy and desiring feedback
· Strong understanding of youthful generations and the sociocultural trends that motivate them.
· Robust knowledge of youth-driven design, that give understanding of design feasibility within child safety regulations, youth-specific function and fit needs, and costing parameters.
· Passionate about the newness within textiles
· Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, being able to juggle multiple seasons at one time
· Curiosity to explore new ideas
· Strong sense of style and color with a considered aesthetic and an eye toward detail, and a clear perspective of how to approach through a youthful lens.
· Thorough knowledge of silhouette, fit, fabrication, and construction, that give understanding of what's technically possible without hesitation to push beyond.
· Proficiency in Illustrator and Photoshop with an understanding of PLM; 3D design software knowledge a plus!
· Strong vendor relationships that establish trust and goodwill between suppliers.
· Confident presentation skills, capable of influencing an audience -Well-crafted communication and organizational skills, including tracking development deadlines
· Minimum of 5+ years experience in apparel design; Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Fashion Design program
What does a typical day looks like:
a. Email and Microsoft Teams communications with cross-functional partners in Merchandising, Product Engineering, etc.
b. Researching and designing into seasonal styles
c. Technical sketch creation and partnering with Product Engineering partners to build PLM BOM and request samples
d. Participating in Zoom presentations, capturing notes and executing on takeaways
Top 3-5 Skills needed to perform this role/job:
a. Proficient at Sketching/Designing in Adobe Illustrator
b. Thorough knowledge of silhouette/fit/fabrication/construction (preferably for activewear)
c. Technical sketch and tech pack creation
d. Ability to research global markets to identify trends and silhouettes
Top 3-5 Soft Skills:
a. Ability to work in fast-paced environment, juggle multiple seasons at one time
b. Strong organization and communication skills
c. Team-oriented and willingness to problem solve
d. Positive energy with ability to take feedback
What our client is looking for:
Fashion Design with 5+ years experience
Additional Desired Skills/ Software requirements:
- Adobe Illustrator must have
- nice-to-have Miro and PLM