3D Apparel Designer/3D Apparel
Reporting to the VP, Design, the 3D Designer has the exciting opportunity to help develop sophisticated design capabilities for the premier purveyor of custom apparel. He/she will collaborate with the VP, Design and Associate Designer to design and execute all style customizations in the seasonal collections, as well as all new styles and product launches for our Custom Clothing Studio. The 3D designer will be responsible for creating 3D visualizations of the designs for our ecommerce site and any channel partnerships.
He/she will have 3 primary responsibilities:
- Design and build collections with the design team – conceptualize and design new custom modules for expansion of the Custom Clothing studio and collaborate with the rest of the design team to create customizations for seasonal collections; partner with CEO, VP, Design, and other team members to iterate on linesheets to build overall collection
- 3D Modeling and rendering – use clo3D modeling software to manage and improve design, sampling, and production, as well as create renders for visualizing customization options for the eCommerce site; assist with training other team members on software, as needed. Continually improving our automated rendering process.
- Production processes – create tech packs for designs and partner with production to execute on designs; collaborate with VP, Innovation and production team to improve and automate existing processes through the use of clo3D modeling software and other technologies
The ideal candidate will have a balance of creative and technical skills. He/she should have experience in traditional design and garment making for womenswear and understand fit, fabrics, colours, and production processes (preference for experience at a mid- to high-end contemporary womenswear label). He/she should have a passion for high quality product and trend-focused design. The 3D designer must also have deep knowledge of 3D modeling and rendering for womenswear (specifically using the clo3D software).
It is critical that the 3D designer have an entrepreneurial mindset and will be excited to help improve upon existing processes and techniques. The ability to manage conflicting deadlines and priorities in this fast-paced fashion-tech start-up is important, whilst still delivering a high quality level of work from a design and commercial perspective.
Tasks involved will be broad and varied, including but not limited to the following:
- Manage and drive the 3D design process end-to-end for all customized designs (including customizations for seasonal collections, as well as all products in the Custom Clothing Studio)
- Work in clo3d to conceptualize and design collections from scratch
- Create linesheets, patterns, and tech packs to deliver to production
- Manage sampling process with production team in China
- Assign style numbers to garments
- Work closely with 3D renderers to help visualize garments on the ecommerce site
- Work with VP Innovation and engineering team to improve the overall garment design and production process, especially around tech pack and linesheet creation.
- Work in clo3d to validate grading rules for both standard and custom sizes
- Organize and manage work using existing Asana/Instagantt project management tools and shared Smartsheets and Google docs
- Attend regular meetings with VP, Design, CEO, VP, Innovation and other key strategic partners in the company and regularly communicate progress and challenges
- Assist with tactical tasks when necessary, like packing/shipping samples,
Customization is a critical piece of the company’s strategy; therefore, the 3D Designer will have a very important and visible role in the company. He/she will be responsible for independent and collaborative work, but there may also be leadership/management opportunities for the right candidate, including (but not limited to) managing a direct report and training peers on 3D modelling techniques and processes.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum 3-5 years fashion design experience
- Advanced skills in clo3d software required
- Knowledge of other 3d modelling and rendering software a plus
- Knowledge of the end-to-end 3d rendering process
- Advanced knowledge of 3d pattern making, pattern grading, colorways, familiarity with print design and manufacturing
- Deep understanding of the technical design and development process
- A wide breadth of knowledge regarding fabrics and materials
- Good eye for colour and commerciality contrasted with a keen eye for new trends
- Understanding of fashion technical design process, including building linesheets and tech packs
- Intermediate skills in Excel, as well as knowledge of more sophisticated PLM systems; willingness to adapt and learn new technologies as company grows
- Strong leadership skills; ability to manage and mentor junior designers (possibility of direct reports to be determined based on candidate)
- Strong teamwork skills; ability to collaborate cross-functionally with merchandising, marketing, production, logistics, and others to achieve overall collection objectives
- Extremely organized, with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize, multi task and follow through in a fast-paced environment; ability to meet tight and often conflicting deadlines
- Ability to work well with a globally disparate team
- Experience working with China/offshore suppliers and previous travel to China a plus
- An entrepreneurial mindset combined with complete passion, dedication and enthusiasm for the business
- Strong strategic and analytical skills
- Must be a committed team player