Assistant Knit/Sweater Designer
Assistant Knits Designer
Client Overview: Our client is the world’s leader in the design, development and sourcing of consumer goods. Headquartered in London, with offices throughout Europe and the USA, they provide a diverse and dynamic range of private label products across apparel, footwear, accessories, beauty, and many other divisions.
Assistant Designer Overview: The Assistant Designer Reports to Design Director supporting the Design Director and Product Development team in the seasonal design development process, from concept to delivery for major Junior retailers. Contributing trend-appropriate design concepts that meet retailer’s needs and drive sales. Designing and creating CAD artwork and sketches appropriate for the Junior customer. Working with yarn mills to execute yarns and with the sample room and factories to develop cost effective samples/ knitdowns. Coordinating the timely execution of each stage of this process and building a strong relationship with factories, suppliers and the Hong Kong Design, Product Development and Merchandising Teams.
Assistant Designer Responsibilities:
• Work with Design Director/EVP of Design for preliminary design research, including competitive analysis; pull yarns, develop concepts, assemble presentation boards for meetings, prepare mockups, color-ups, inspirational photos, CADS
• Work on development of initial seasonal design category in context of larger assortment
• Identify suitable yarns and order seasonally for sample development.
• Seasonal yarn/knit down development.
•Continually conduct and analyze customer and market research- key trends from Runway, Aspirational benchmarks, Europe and USA retail adapting for Mass Market Customer. This includes Shop Reports. Operations & Results
• Design according to style plans, sales needs and emerging trends; ensure timely execution of product development calendar
• Build seasonal calendar with team
• Create Illustrator sketches; prepare specification sheets and line sheets and update as necessary
• Ensure accuracy of product development logs, line sheets, boards and design archives library; ensure maintenance of designs in shared drives
• Research and coordinate raw materials and trims; maintain fabric/trim library
• Review lab dips with Designer and Designer Director, send comments to vendors and maintain color standards; review prints and graphics and advise revisions where appropriate; coordinate fit process
• Sketch into key silhouettes/yarns/colors per season.
• Initiate and complete tech packs and layouts for all styles, within given deadlines.
• Sample tracking Customers & Relationships
• Follow-up with internal and external customers and partners, including technical design and production; facilitate interoffice communication
• Build collaborative relationships with vendors and internal customers
• Present to clients
• Provide clear point of view and cohesive line presentations for sales and customers.
• Create meeting handouts Leadership & Teams
• Contribute positively to team dynamic and manage up where necessary
• Build presentation skills
• Share product/yarn/innovation with co-designers in other teams
Assistant Designer Qualifications:
• Strong graphic design skills in Adobe; ability to create motifs and patterns relevant for the Kids/Juniors customer
• Exceptional creativity and innovation with the ability to stay up to date on trends
• Superior organizational skills and excellent communication skills; team oriented
• Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines; highly detail oriented and meticulous
• Knowledge of knitwear design; construction, stitch, yarn, silhouettes
• Bachelor’s Degree in Fashion Design
• 2+ years’ experience in knitwear design
• Highly proficient in Microsoft Office, Adobe products, CAD and Mac computers
• Preferred experience in 3D programs Clo APEX and Browzwear