A leading retail firm in San Jose is hiring for a full-time Assistant Merchandiser who will be responsible for the day to day operation of the back office for an assigned category, working for the Merchandiser Manager.
The Assistnat Merchandiser is responsible for new item setup, vendor and store communications, promotion planning, and other duties and assignments assigned by the Merchandise Manager.
- Manages the new items set-up process. Working directly with the vendors to get all required data for the new item creation process. Ensures all appropriate approvals have been received prior to finalizing the set-up process. Ensures data is accurate prior to entry into the mainframe. Reviews all data entered into the mainframe and makes any corrections as required. Establish opening order and allocation with Replenishment team. Requests product samples as required. Provides product information to the Visual Merchandising team for planogram update and/or creation
- Responsible for the execution of promotional plans for the assigned category. Assist in the creation of the monthly promotional plan. Reviews all ad proofs and checks availability of product. Communicates issues to the Merchandise Manager or Merchant, Marketing and/or Replenishment as required. Schedules events with the Merchandise Manager and works with Merchandising Operations on execution of the event. Requests product samples as required by marketing. Writes ad copy for product items as required
- Maintains all vendor records and files (both hard copy and electronic) for the assigned category. Ensuring they have the most up to date contact information for vendors on file, make updates as required. Communication and follow-up on any required vendor documentation (i.e. Vendor Buying Agreements, Universal Terms & Conditions, PA Agreements, etc.). Communicates any vendor changes to the appropriate internal organizations (i.e. Replenishment, Supply Chain, E-Commerce, Marketing, etc.)
- Manages the Purchase Agreement (PA) process for the assigned category. At the direction of the Merchandise Manager or Merchant, completes the terms portion of the PA Agreement form and sends to the vendor for signature.
- Manages item/pricing maintenance for existing items. Makes updates to system as required (item descriptions, CILs, dimensions, order multiples, etc.). Creates analysis for price changes for Merchandise Manager review, includes gathering of competition shops (either from vendor or completing the actual competition shop), letters of justification and any other related data from the vendors. Upon final price change approval, ensures new pricing is entered into the system at the appropriate time. For large price changes, works with Merchandising Operations on creating appropriate communication to the stores
- Manages the markdown process for the assigned category. Partners with Merchandise Managers and/or Merchants on establishment of a plan for markdowns. Communicates the markdown plan to the appropriate internal organizations. If vendor subsidy is being used to support the markdown, ensures PA Agreement has been signed and deductions are being taken
- Coordination of the line review process. Communicates with vendors regarding the details of the line review (sample requests, program lab sets, line review minimum requirements, collection of bids, etc.). Works side by side with Merchandise Manager and/or Merchant during the line review
- Creates merchandising communications for stores inclusive of resets, unscheduled UAs, etc as required.
- 2-year college degree is preferred or equivalent experience
- 2-4 years experience in a support capacity preferably for a retail company in merchandising or equivalent field, prior retail store management or buying experience is a plus
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written & listening)
- Ability to work in a high stress environment that includes regular changes in priorities and direction
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word