Home & Garden décor company is seeking a DESIGN DIRECTOR in Orange County!
A successful Design Director collaborates with and supports the Sales Team and Creative Director, with the end goal of collectively providing the best trend data, program and product strategies, validated program and product designs and related support to ensure the optimal solution-based products and programs for our Customers.
Job Responsibilities and Duties:
• The Design Director (DD) works closely with and supports the Creative Director and Sales Team to collectively develop program and product strategy.
• The DD researches and analyses trend, (trend relating to design, category-driven function, market trends) in support of the company’s global trend vision and key account Customer-Specific trend reports.
• The DD drives trend research and reporting, for specific mid tier accounts and IGC, creating and presenting trend reports to support the Sales Team.
• The DD provides trend, program and product validation / rationale, by means including but not limited to trend research, consumer surveys and advisory panels (with support from Marketing), direct consumer observation and interaction at store level and category-related events (ex: garden shows).
• The DD creates and advises the Creative Director and Sales in the creation of validated design objectives and project parameters.
• The DD in collaboration with the Creative Director, reviews and optimizes design objectives with the PM, to ensure feasibility and optimal cost / manufacturing / factory capabilities.
• The DD executes design projects, by means including but not limited to recruiting, training and managing freelance artists, participating in team design workshopping, executing design work.
• The DD supports Sales and the Creative Director in the review and vetting of program and product designs, through consumer surveys and advisory panel feedback (with the support of Marketing).
• The DD supports Sales and the Creative Director by creating presentation decks, meeting materials and other collaterals for Customer meetings and Line Reviews.
• The DD travels as needed to meet with Customers to present trend reports, program and product designs, in support of the Sales Team.
• The DD provides design intent and communicates objectives to PM and Asia Creative and PD Teams, to ensure optimal product prototyping.
• The DD travels to and works with overseas factories as needed, to ensure optimal product sampling and to research new opportunities in development of new glazes, materials, production methods, etc.
• The successful DD works collaboratively to ensure Team involvement and alignment, while also personally owning and executing key projects.
• BA, BFA or equivalent preferred, ideally in art, design, ID or related area of study
• Strong knowledge of and professional background in color trend, color theory, home décor, product design, consumer goods
• A minimum of 3 years-experience in the design and production of consumer goods, including working with Asia factories, communicating directly with Customers. Experience managing teams of artists. Experience creating and executing proven processes.
• Skilled in Photoshop, InDesign or Illustrator, 3d software (optional), traditional media (preferred). Good presentation skills, problem solving, communication.
• Passionate work ethic and love of creative problem-solving. Grace under pressure, comfortable with a fast-paced and deadline oriented work environment. Ability to balance collaborative Teamwork with proactive, self-guided ownership & execution of projects.
• Travel required, both domestic and overseas