Director Design – Women’s
In partnership with and reporting to the SVP of Merchandise, the Director will be responsible for planning and setting the strategic vision of the design team for all apparel categories. This includes defining, interpreting and driving the creative direction (design, color and prints) for seasonal product assortments in apparel. The Director will also be responsible for delivering 4 seasonal product flows.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
List the major duties and responsibilities of this position, in order of importance. Be brief but include all important duties.
Successfully drive the design team to develop and deliver private label assortments that are mindful of the customer while still in keeping with current trends and supportive of the business agenda.
• Build branded equity through the development and execution an internal brand strategy that is in direct alignment with the external brand strategy
• Motivate, drive and inspire the design team to develop concepts that will draw customers in and influence their purchase decisions.
• Drive the design team through resources and information that is imperative to meeting customer demands.
• Devise and execute a strategy for optimizing the return on trend research, shopping, industry events, etc.
Lead the Design Team to Peak Performance
• Build the level of skill within the design team for the purpose of creating world class, private label products.
• Develop talent in the spirit of succession planning
• Encourage cross-functional team work and drive partnerships within the design team and across merchandise and production functions so as to develop products that are indicative of a cohesive and creative plan that is both strategic and purposeful.
• Properly and fairly assess performance of the design team so as to develop strengths, recognize opportunities and grow talent from within whenever appropriate.
Develop and drive a finely tuned, highly executable design process
• Oversee the development calendar
• Establish clear deliverables and objectives for the design team
• Prepare for potential areas of risk and develop alternative solutions so as to maintain deadline integrity
Drive for timely delivery of samples
• Work in a hands on manner-must be able to design as well as do administrative tasks
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Minimum 10 years overall experience in the apparel industry which must include minimum 5 years experience managing a creative team and successfully driving the business
• Must exhibit a clear understanding of the customer and what this customer expects in terms of fashion, aesthetics, quality, etc.
• Demonstrated understanding of vertical product development from the planning of the calendar to concept to delivery
• Expertise in inspiration shopping when traveling overseas. Occasional overseas travel is required in this role.
• Previous Merchant and Production experience is a plus.