Our client, a leading retailer, is looking for a Financial Analyst for an immediate contract role. This position requires critical thinking to extract the terms and conditions of contracts in order to evaluate if a lease exists under the requirements of the new lease accounting guidance. Will be responsible for accurately capturing the contract information. This information will be utilized to calculate the assets and liabilities to be recorded in the Company’s financial statements, comply with reporting requirements and prepare financial statement disclosures for the new lease accounting. The position requires technical and analytical skills to extract the information and assess the results for accuracy. Possesses strong legal term and contract discernment skills and comprehension of the impact to financial accounting results.
• Evaluate initial contract inventory for potential leases
• Read and interpret contract(s) to determine if an operating or finance lease exists.
• Extract financial terms referring to all rental obligations for input, including rent, occupancy costs, rent concessions, terms, and impacts to payment processes.
• Manage and prioritize workload to ensure compliance with Key Controls around lease extraction and entry into the model.
• Provide guidance and interpretation of lease language to project team.
• Analyze and interpret results.
• Identify issues and develop solutions to complex problems identified.
• Work with business partners to understand and document current processes and assist in the development of future processes.
• Report regularly to manager of department about issues.
• Communicate regularly with project team regarding open issues, complex terms etc.
• Create and monitor activity with project team.
• Assist in the creation of productivity metrics and develop reporting.
• Accountable for maintaining excellent relationships with business partners and meeting team commitments
• Responsible for identifying and acting upon opportunities for improvement
• Create and maintain procedures
• Assist in developing SOX controls required for the new lease accounting Communication with various levels of the organization. Will interact with Team Members, Domestic and International Business Partners, including RE Law, RE Processes Management, International Finance, Non-Merchandise Payables, Global International Sourcing, and corporate RE groups.
Job Qualifications Include:
Strong experience of interpreting legal documents for the purpose of the extraction of financial obligations
Strong analytical and problem solving skills to obtain effective solutions
Ability to work in teams and assist other department staff
Strong communication skills both verbal and written with all levels of the organization Proficient knowledge of Excel and Word.
Intermediate knowledge of Financial and operational accounting systems and database applications preferred
General understanding of Finance/Accounting principles
Strong organizational skills required
Must be able to work variable hours to accommodate deadlines Functional Technical Skills
Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment Action Oriented Enjoys working hard Is action oriented and full of energy for the things he/she sees as challenging Informing
Provides individuals information so that they can make accurate decisions Is timely with information
Approachability Is an early knower, getting informal and incomplete information in time to do something about it Builds rapport well o Is a good listener
• Jr. Attorney or Paralegal certificate preferred or previous applicable experience.
• BA in Finance or Accounting preferred or previous applicable experience a plus.
• Background in Contract Law, Commercial and/or Real Estate Law preferable Experience:
• 4 years Legal document interpretation experience, Real Estate or Commercial preferred • 2- 4-years Accounting/Finance experience a plus