Material & Trim Developer
Overview of the Position & Key Areas of Accountability:
The Material & Trim Developer is responsible for the overall execution and development of all materials and trims from concept through to production. She/he collaborates with the Product Development Team, Design and Production teams to execute product initiatives utilizing creative thinking and problem solving skills. The Material and Trim Developer coordinates the fabric/trim sourcing, data management, construction, testing, quality, and costing which results in the commercial execution of all materials and trims. The Material & Trims Developer performs at an independent, self-directed level with the ability to handle daily decisions.
Areas of Accountability and Tasks:
In collaboration with Design, Merchandising, Product Development Manager and Production team, executes the sourcing of fabrics & trims to support The Brands vision, sourcing strategy and product requirements.
? Communicates daily with our domestic & international material and trim suppliers to enhance The Brands sourcing strategy, creating respectful, symbiotic relationships for combined growth
? Sources materials & trims to ensure costs, MOQ, lead-times and technical qualities are met per Design’s intentions
? Continually assesses mills and trim suppliers to ensure product initiatives are supported and aligned with supply chain strengths.
? Sets meetings with key suppliers throughout season and at trade shows
? Participates in post-seasonal supplier evaluations with Design, Product Development, Tech Design and Production teams
Manages the material and trim development T&A based on The Brands development calendar and collaborates with Design, Merchandising, Product Development and Production teams to achieve commercial viability of materials and trims.
? Collaborates with Design, PD and Merchandising teams to identify material and trim needs at the start of a season.
? Submits fabric development sheets to mill’s for all new development including finishes, dyestuff specs and performance requirements.
? Coordinates with the PD team to arrange proto yardage fabric shipment to factories.
? Proactively trouble-shoots issues regarding fabric characteristics, technical construction, lead times, problem colors and testing from development through to production.
? Daily communication with mills to confirm fabric pricing, minimums, and availability.
? Maintains tracking of seasonal progress, utilizing fabric WIP, for associated approvals of all materials and trims. Evaluates submittals to ensure The Brands quality standards are met.
? Inputs relevant data to SCDS
? Builds, inputs, and maintains Full Circle Raw Material (RM) codes. Logs pertinent information throughout the season and streamlines item-coding process
? Counter-sources materials and trims to effectively build products at the best cost, quality, and compliance
? Tracks and develops SMU materials and trims according to seasonal requests
? Evaluates development fabric test reports to determine if further testing &/or revisions to fabric
? Sets and maintains seasonal care label instructions based on fabric/garment qualities and end use
? Maintains trim and label archive
? Reviews, evaluates, and is pro-active in regards to material QC issues at time of development and salesman samples and communicates findings to Design, QA, and Production teams
3. Product Integrity
Cross-functional interaction with all departments of the Brands to 1- deliver the highest quality product in our market, and 2- communicate the material attributes & vision. This includes: supporting merch with pre-line fabric workbooks to supporting customer service with specific material research and information.
? Makes thoughtful daily decisions to maintain high levels of standards in quality - from development to production
? Participates in evaluating daily/seasonal processes in Product Development and how we interact with other teams
4. Market R&D
Maintains knowledge of industry trends and current events to align the brands product line with industry progress and growth, as well as, company goals and strategies.
? Shops the current market (comp shopping & trade shows) for fabrics/trims
? Provides input to Merchandising team to maintain a well-balanced materials offering with consistency across divisions and within categories
? Provides material and trim inspiration to Design team in creating the best product possible, aligning with The Brands strategies and seasonal vision
5. Environmental Health & Safety
Understands and works within The Brands standards of Environmental Health & Safety and how it relates to our employees & consumers, based on: vendor requirements, bluesign certified fabrics, sustainable fibers, RSL (Restricted Substances List), Fair Trade program, and social compliance.
? Develops and applies depth of knowledge in The Brands Environmental Health & Safety program and how it relates to our daily decision-making, the suppliers we work with, social compliance, and what it means to our consumer
? Work with the Director of Sourcing to execute The Brands Environmental Health and Safety program.
? Integrate bluesign® traceability into the materials sourcing and management PLM, ensuring correct labeling of final product.
? Ensure certification for organic and recycled materials from mills in the development process.
? Materials & trims sourcing aligning with The Brands sustainability strategy and seeks to bring the company towards meeting our goals.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Apparel &/or Textile Product Development, Merchandising or Design is required
• 6+ years industry experience in Product Development
• Extensive knowledge of material construction, fabrics (knits & wovens) & their properties, and trims in the following (Men’s, Women’s &/or Accessories) categories: Outerwear, Mid-Layer, Performance, Activewear, Swimwear, Lifestyle, Sweaters, Dresses, Accessories
• Understanding of supply chain transparency and compliance
• Experience travelling internationally &/or domestically to evaluate vendor execution
• Experience in costing and negotiating
• Working knowledge of: PDM systems, Word, Excel, Adobe Illustrator, SharePoint
• Calm and mindful disposition in all actions
• Attention to detail
• Establishes and maintains schedules by prioritizing heavy workloads and multiple seasons overlapping
• Demonstrates a flexible work-style based on shifting demands and priorities
• Excels in a team-based structure and maintains a positive attitude in a team environment
• Ability to achieve goals, tasks and responsibilities with a high level of integrity
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
• Effective and organized presentation skills
• Problem-solving skills
• Ability to maintain a professional demeanor and openness to new ideas and change
• Comfortable with conflicting personalities and work-styles
• Personal values align with The Brands values:
• We support a life/work balance
• We strive to deliver the highest quality product and experience to our customer
• We take positive steps towards environmental and social change
• We are a high energy, hardworking and playful culture
• We are inspired by SEVA
• Must be able to travel internationally up to 2 times annually