Senior Apparel Designer
- Creates, establishes, maintains, and nurtures the category design direction.
- Provides Designs for inline key projects.
- Sets goals, monitor progress, offer help, and critique work for Designers and Assistant Designers; manage, supervise, and develop the team.
- Works with Marketing to remain informed on current trends.
- Acts as strategic business partner with development & marketing counterparts to produce market relevant product ranges & concepts.
- Works with Development and Tech Services to resolve product issues from commercialization to initial Tech packages.
- Acts as point person in Design for color direction.
- Tracks project status with Model shop and Pattern Engineering.
- Coordinates with other design teams to create visual tie-ins.
- Travels to the market place to get feedback from athletes and retailers.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive industry and consumer trend knowledge
- Ability to effectively communicate to all levels within the organization
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to effectively manage and lead a team.
- Ability to influence & collaborate with key business partners
- Ability to project manage and meet key deadlines
- Computer skills (Apple Mac, PhotoShop, Illustrator)
- Ability to travel both domestically & internationally as needed.
Qualifications (Minimum required education and experience):
-Bachelor degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university in design;
-Five (5) years related experience and /or training
-Equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted for degree.
2018 Senior Designer /// Core Competencies
Master of the Craft
Role model for iterative design (physical > digital > physical)
• Lead the team with sample mock ups, exercises, and brainstorming sessions.
• Demonstrate iterative design on all styles within your ranges utilizing hands-on methods as well as
digital creation tools.
• Draw clear insights from each iteration and improve your design at every iteration.
• Share insights with fellow designers to spread learnings and improve products outside of your own
Strong aesthetic POV and unique design thinking that challenges convention and nurtures growth of
• Executes design direction for the brand. Upholds design direction for the category; nurtures the
design direction through communication with the Design team, Development, Marketing.
• Sets the aesthetic bar on daily basis. Drive fresh design POVs that evolve category aesthetics.
Leads team & critiques work as first filter for DD.
• Sets the bar for visual communication via board builds, digital presentation, visualization of designs
• Coordinates with other design leads to create visual tie-ins.
Consumer & Culture Expert
Stays abreast emerging consumer & cultural trends within Basketball. Viewed as a basketball
expert with deep understanding of the game, life, and world.
• Acts as strategic business partner with product creation counterparts to produce consumer
relevant product ranges & concepts.
• Leads by example, injecting consumer/cultural insights into designs and concepts.
• Shares insights and helps others create insight based designs. Challenges insights & seeks truth.
Expert material knowledge enabling cost effective & appropriate material selections
Role model for material selections
Leads by example, selecting fabric that are perfect for the designs. Always hits margin
requirements without sacrificing perceived value
Expert knowledge on material construction & embellishments. Advocate for design during XF
material discussion with MDI.
Creative Mentor & Manager
Sets goals, monitor progress, offer help, and critique work for design team.
Leads workshops that explore deliverables & drive towards next milestone.
Identify when team is over/under capacity. Communicate to studio manager.
Thru daily design coaching help develop Designers, Tech Designers, and Assistant Designers,
aesthetic eye, taste level, and insight based design skills.
Assist Design Director
Fully capable of covering meetings & presentations in place of Design Director
Leads major milestones in place of Design Director when needed.
Develops XF relationships with ELT to attend leadership meetings as needed.
Presents the range to ELT & SLT in place of Design Direction when needed.