Senior Project Manager
Individuals in this role provide the following services to the organization:
1) cross-functional project and program management for enterprise-level initiatives;
2) provision of a visible, accessible, and relevant project portfolio; and
3) development and maintenance of tools, techniques, and standards pertaining to the project life cycle.
• Provide leadership to and facilitate the work of cross-functional project teams by clarifying project objectives and defining tactics necessary to accomplish these objectives.
• Establish structure of the project, including identification and allocation of resources and creation of project plans; ensure that plans receive appropriate review, authorization, and funding.
• Development of project budgets and integration of project costs into the organization-level budget and financial forecast.
• Track project activity and expenditures against plans; communicate effectively through multiple channels to sponsors and key stakeholders; manage external delivery partners where required.
• Continuously assess project risk factors and recommend courses of action to mitigate risk.
• Lead and participate in developing, maintaining and evolving standards, tools, templates and documented processes for process improvement and project governance.
• Develop project and resource portfolio planning, tracking and reporting mechanisms; assist in developing project prioritization and executive approval and communication processes.
• Perform other duties as assigned to ensure the success of the team and the organization.
• Assist teams in evaluating and establishing their capacity to inform project plans as needed.
Skills and abilities
• Strong leadership skills with proven ability to successfully manage and facilitate cross-functional teams; ability to build strong working relationships and work with all levels of an organization.
• Advanced proficiency in a broad range of applications, including Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project, MS Visio, SharePoint and process mapping tools.
• Well-developed communication skills, including the ability to transform complexities into clear, concise written communications.
• Ability to distinguish milestones and measures critical to project success and translate these into meaningful management information.
• Ability to balance competing demands for project scope, time, cost, risk and quality; combined with ability to manage several projects concurrently with a sense for organizational priority.
• Ability to remain cool under pressure and demonstrate competence when challenged.
• Negotiation skills with strong mentoring & coaching capabilities.
• Ability to facilitate and control meetings and discussions where disparate points of views need to be voiced and acknowledged.
Education and experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Business, Engineering, or similar discipline required; MBA or other advanced degree or equivalent work experience strongly preferred.
• Minimum eight years of practical delivery experience in the area of program/project management with demonstrated results.
• Strong preference for experience in the technology industry.
• Experience in vendor relations and contract negotiations for program/project outsourced services and products.
• Extensive project management process experience including project portfolio prioritization, estimating, project planning, budgeting, scheduling, risk and issue management.
• PMP certification desired; experience with creation of project portfolio management tools and design of dynamic, data-driven web applications highly desirable