Act as a full business owner for handbags/SLG/ luggage / sunglasses and belts business. Works in partnership with the General Merchandise Manager on the merchandise direction in brand acquisitions and delivers compelling fashion right assortments to our consumers. Develops strategy to ensure the DNA of superior brands at off-price is consistent with all other families of business. Must be strategic and confident enough to work with and build lasting relationships with key principals from all major companies in the industry. Expected to spend a significant amount of time in the market. Must be trend oriented while committed to profitability for company.
Buyer Roles and Responsibilities:
• Develops long term and short-term strategic merchandise initiatives in conjunction with the GMM to set the overall strategy and merchandise direction for the business.
• Drives revenue by procuring the best brands and the most compelling product assortments, at the sharpest prices.
• Fosters an environment that promotes both teamwork and personal development of Associate Buyers and Assistant Buyers
• Creates assortments that support the needs of the guests and the financial objectives of the merchandise division.
• Drives margin by negotiating favorable terms and discounts with our vendor partners.
• Establish and maintain credibility and reputation for responsiveness in the marketplace by promptly returning vendor phone calls and ensuring timely follow up.
• Proactively manages Open to Buy by hitting monthly receipt targets and collaborating with planning to generate accurate sales and margin forecasts.
• Facilitates exit strategies for slow moving stock including recommending and approving markdowns.
• Manages the timely placement of purchase orders and facilitate on-time receipt of goods to warehouse by tracking on-order to address late shipments.
• Partners with store management teams to foster an amazing guest experience by helping to facilitate execution on the floor.
• Shop competition stores and ecommerce sites regularly to identify opportunities labels and trends.
• Work closely with e-commerce on procuring the merchandise and implementing strategy execution on the site.
• Analyzes business performance weekly and reacts quickly to business needs. • Demonstrates a passion to be fashion forward and fashion-right, unafraid to take risks.
• Works with the planning organization to develop by-store assortment plans that support overall strategy of in-stock positioning for key merchandise categories, classifications, items and vendors.
• Work closely with marketing, store merchants and company partners to enable exposure and marketing of all merchandise opportunities.
• Clear understanding of how to work with planning team and strategically forecast out a business.
Buyer Key Qualifications:
• Highly organized and ability to adapt to quickly changing priorities in fast-paced off-price environment.
• Strategic thinker, have vision by being aware of surroundings, absorb new ideas, new ways and flexible enough to drive new direction by thinking long term.
• Robust leadership profile and negotiation skill.
• Willing to think “outside-the-box” and challenge the status quo in order to drive incremental sales and margin.
• Willing to delegate, teach, and coach.
• Strong retail math acumen, including elements of markup, margin planning and open to buy.
• Ability to work well with all levels of management, build partnerships and direct teams.
• Strong attention to detail, negotiation, business and financial analysis skills.
• Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.