Designer Job Overview:
Our client is looking for an experienced Designer in women’s and young contemporary sportswear. Ideally skilled in dresses, knit and woven tops and bottoms. As the Designer, you will be responsible for researching inspiration, developing new apparel design concepts, sketching ideas, creating technical packages, and overseeing samples. You have both an inherent understanding of the Brands heritage, and a connection to its evolving aesthetic.
This position is a hybrid schedule, 2-3 days onsite a week in Walnut, CA.
· Oversee research and inspiration to create a cohesive concept each season, review emerging trends and shapes, and research local markets.
· Collaborate with the design team to create mood and inspiration boards to showcase new trends, inspirations, materials, and silhouettes.
· Research market trends and styles, ensuring comprehensive product and competitor knowledge and communicate knowledge as necessary through written and verbal presentations.
· Partner with Merchandising to develop commercial components of each collection. Ensure that product is consistent with market trends and adheres to the codes of the Brand and the business strategy.
· Bring passion, creativity, energy, and inspiration to the team; possess the credibility to influence with conviction.
· Uphold design integrity and high-quality execution throughout the entire development process from concept through to market.
· Be a creative innovator, leading to both commercial and creative success.
· Oversee research and inspiration to create a cohesive concept each season, review emerging trends and shapes, and research local markets
· Prepare all necessary components for design presentations, such as sketch boards, proto reviews, and production meeting preparation
· Collaborate with other Apparel Designers and various cross-functional teams and maintain strong business relationships with external partners
· Lead sample review sessions, provide recommendations, note feedback, and update sketches as necessary
· 3-5+ years minimum experience
· Great eye for color, fabric and trims.
· Able to seek out trend and develop creative, original designs as well as updating best sellers.
· Firm knowledge of construction and how it impacts cost.
· Skilled in hand and digital sketching.
· Skilled and able to create thorough and accurate tech packs.
· Understanding of cost parameters per target customer and how that impacts design.
· Solid knowledge of standard measurements.
· Comfortable and experienced in fitting garments.
· Great communicator and team player.
· Familiar with operating with a design room in China vs local.
· Contemporary/advanced contemporary experience.
· Technical knowledge of fabrics, silhouettes, prints, colors, and trims
· Proficient with Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop
· Strong sense of style and color and exceptional taste level
· Bonus skills- Able to design or modify prints if working remotely and are only able to come into the office 2-3 days a week.