Job descriptionOur Client, a container terminal operator and vessel stevedore is looking to add a an Automation Engineer to their team for a FT, Direct Hire role. They will work alongside technology vendors, consultants, IT, and operational staff to troubleshoot, identify improvement opportunities, and support the integrated technologies which enable our world-class, automated operations.
- Troubleshoots and repairs software application defects that affect system performance and availability without disrupting production.
- Troubleshoots intermediate-type issues and/or problems while adhering to standard incident management processes.
- Researches customer questions and/or issues, including corresponding with customers, calling vendors for assistance, or escalating the problem to an IT group.
- Makes recommendations for solutions and resolves problems within service level agreement (SLA).
- Reviews the systems and processes to identify areas for improvement.
- Makes recommendations for changes to systems and processes as needed to ensure service level agreements are met.
- Creates and maintains documentation knowledge-based articles (KBA) to support processes.
- Provides on-the-job training and coaching less experienced staff members and interns.
- Assists in the cross-training of junior staff by developing course content.
- Participates in the business recovery and continuity processes, which may include working with others to test processes, and exercising the processes.
- Participates in project work surrounding production readiness to maintain and enhance assigned platforms.
- Occasional travel – Weekend, holiday and on-call hours may be required.
- Oversee the development and installation of new hardware and software.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, system/industrial engineering, Software Engineering, Math or related field of study and a minimum of three years working in an industrial environment.
SKILLS AND APTITUDES
- 2-3 years of Systems administration experience with exposure to Linux and Windows in a professional setting Technical problem-solving skills with the ability to find successful resolutions for issues of basic to moderate complexity Listening, verbal, and written communications skills
- Organization skills and ability to work on multiple projects and/or assignments simultaneously
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment
- Ability to analyze data from various sources and determine subsequent actions Experience with root cause analysis and an emphasis on developing sustainable solutions
- General Knowledge of networks, Servers, and IT components (devices, infrastructure, operating systems)
- Knowledge of computer coding/programming languages and software development concepts
- Knowledge of data structures, data management practices, system interaction patterns, and interfaces
- Basic knowledge of various corporate security rules, legal and regulatory obligations
- Basic knowledge of vendor software integration and interaction patterns
- Ability to adapt to new situations and learn quickly.