Job descriptionThe Director of Buying
*Must come from the luxury market
*Hybrid Opportunity - 3 days in-office in NYC
The Director of Buying will lead the global buying strategy, in partnership with the VP of Global Buying, Planning & Consumer Insights, for the Direct-to Consumer business for all product categories.
The Director of Buying will directly manage an Associate Buyer, and work cross-functionally with the Senior Manager of Planning, to analyze inventory and sales by location, understanding global market needs, lead in-season business management, oversee market prep, and define product assortment and sales strategies globally.
The Director of Buying should possess a deep understanding of global market and product trends.
The Director of Buying will also be responsible for liaising with cross functional teams in support of seasonal brand and commercial objectives, as defined in partnership with the VP of Global Buying, Planning & Consumer Insights. Key cross-functional partners include, but are not limited to: Retail, Digital, Merchandising, Marketing, Visual Merchandising, Store Planning, Wholesale, Finance, Operations, and Logistics. Travel may be required for this role.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES Business Management
• Manage full product life cycle as it relates to the DTC business, from market preparation to outlet disposition
• Monitor and understand daily / weekly / seasonal business opportunities and challenges by market, recap, inform and recommend action steps
• Create and communicate product strategy through seasonal product trainings and maintain regular communication with regional retail and digital channel managers to better understand market needs
• Develop partnerships with internal departments: Wholesale, Merchandising, E-commerce, Marketing, Visual Merchandising, Operations and Logistics
• Lead seasonal markdown process in partnership with Wholesale and Merchandising
• Initiate seasonal in-store or digital product activations
• Stock balancing / inter-store and warehouse transfers
• Manage outlet product assortments Reporting & Analysis
• Responsible for weekly, monthly, and seasonal sales reporting (seasonal sell-through and style selling reports)
• Stock to sales by location, by season, by classification
• Market Prep and OTB support
• Ad hoc reports Market (4 markets per year)
• Responsible for SKU-level buying for all product categories, including ad hoc buys outside of the regular market cadence
• Lead buy preparation and manage support during buying session: reference selling history, prior season orders and stock to sales; analyze current business trends
• Partner with merchandising, retail, digital, visual merchandising • Maintain management of daily business during market
• Minimum Education: 4 Year college degree relevant or related field.
• Minimum Years of Experience: 10+ years in a buying or merchandising related job • Experience with creating development and execution of merchandising strategies a must
• Luxury and apparel category experience preferred.
• Management experience preferred.
• Excel, PowerPoint and BI tool (Microstrategy, PowerBI, Tableau, Looker) expertise required.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
• Strong initiative, desire and ability to drive results
• Proactive vs. reactive approach
• Strong analytical and strategic skillset
• Ability to multi-task
• Team player
• Excellent cross-functional collaboration skills to drive teams to execution
• Attention to detail and organized
• Strong understanding of retail math (stock to sales, sell-through etc.)
• Selection ability/ strong taste level
• Communication skills
• “Big” idea mentality
• Public speaking skills
• Knowledge of competitive landscape
• Passion for the industry