Job descriptionGeneral Manager – Downtown Manhattan
Must have a minimum of 6 years' General Manager / Store Director experience in Manhattan - NO EXCEPTIONS
The General Manager is responsible for the operation of the store. The primary responsibility of this individual is to ensure that the sales and profit goals established are met and exceeded by hiring, training, and managing the performance of the retail store staff to Company standards of sales, customer service, merchandising, and operations.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Achieve and exceed the Company’s sales plans for the store.
• Improve overall bottom-line profitability by managing operational controllable expenses.
• Recruit, hire, and train the most qualified management and sales team.
• Set goals and manage to expectations through clear communication of sales and customer service training programs; operational procedures; performance standards; dress code, and all other Company policies and procedures.
• Manage by providing frequent feedback through coaching and performance reviews. Identify and develop associates with leadership or other skills for succession planning.
• Lead store team to drive sales through constant training and setting examples of outstanding customer service skills.
• Analyze store profit and loss results and identify opportunities for improvement through controllable expenses. Manage expenses (including payroll and hours scheduled) within planned budget. Maintain and reconcile petty cash funds.
• Ensure that customer service expectations and sales goals are met and that your store is always fully staffed with top performers.
• Provide weekly and monthly coaching and training to existing staff members to improve performance and develop associates.
• Evaluate performance in sales, UPT (units per transaction), and ADS (average dollar sales) by reviewing monthly productivity with each associate. Provide additional coaching when needed to meet these goals and address unsatisfactory performance promptly.
• Represent our client by interacting with local community groups and generate good public relations to expand awareness of the brand. This includes hosting special events, sponsorships, participating in fashion shows and editorial placements as directed and with the express approval of corporate management.
• Ensure proper receipt, selling, markdowns, and transfers of inventory for the store.
• Communicate merchandise sell-through information and customer feedback to Corporate by completing all required reports.
• Work with the Retail Buyer on reorders of in-stock products with the planning team as needed. Make requests for merchandise from bulk back stocks and fill-ins on fashion merchandise and accessories, as needed.
• Protect store assets and inventory. Manage loss prevention and shrinkage by controlling theft and ensuring compliance with paperwork procedures.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
• At least 6 years of supervisory experience in the apparel industry with a proven track record of driving sales and excellence in customer service.
• Full understanding of store operations and prior experience managing a retail location and a sales team.
• Training, interviewing, planning, organizational, and performance management skills.
• Computer skills to include a retail point-of-sale software system and Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.