Head of New Business
Head of New Business will sit on the leadership team and be the driving force behind the agency’s new business success. It’s a fast-paced, varied role that you can really make your own. You’ll be moving across different briefs, working with different departments and leading initiatives that boost lead generation and conversion.
Partnerships are key across all areas of the role:
- You’ll be working in tandem with the Head of Marketing, to collaboratively achieve the S’marketing department’s joint goals. (This really is a team where Sales and Marketing work seamlessly together, as one unit)
- You’ll be the primary relationship-holder for our technology partners, intermediaries and consultants; responsible for unlocking opportunities through these partnerships.
- You’ll support across every pitch and proposal team, to ensure the new business machine runs smoothly, quickly and is financially efficient.
- You’ll be the main contact throughout a prospect’s journey, i.e. from a website download through to a client relationship.
It should be a no-brainer that you’re a brilliant relationship builder, with great commercial instinct and the ability to unlock, then close, opportunities. More specifically:
- You have 3+ years’ experience in a similar role – and you can demonstrate success working with technology and/or design projects. (Specifically, within the region of £500k - £2m+ budget)
- You have initiative – we’re talking about that natural drive to get stuck in and not wait around to be told. You’ll relish the pressure (the good kind), will volunteer approaches and know instinctively what the next moves are.
- You are results driven – you’re laser focused on the impact of every action and can effectively drive multiple streams of work forward, simultaneously, to achieve your targets.
- You are down-to-earth – for building strong relationships (and friendships) within the company, with our partners, and with potential clients.
- You are an excellent project manager – your organisational skills are enviable, your attention to detail exemplar, and you are a creative problem-solver. You can demonstrate how you have driven projects efficiently (to time and budget).
- You have strong grammar and writing skills – not only can you build relationships on the phone and in-person, but you can also build credibility quickly across emails, proposal responses, and other written formats.
- You are naturally strategic and willing to roll-up your sleeves – and you have the proof to show it. You have both defined and delivered NB strategy and can demonstrate success.
You are responsible for defining and executing the agency’s new business strategy. This will include:
• Participating in the setting of the agency’s new business targets and budget
• Working with the Head of Marketing to deliver against the shared S’marketing budget
• Disseminating the new business strategy and reports at a board and leadership level, at a S’marketing team level, and at all staff meetings – raising awareness of successes and galvanizing the wider business in NB action
• Managing all aspects of the new business strategy; lead generation, pipeline progression, RFI/RFP process, through to conversion
• As a steer, lead generation activities have previously included the following (but in the future, this will be up to you, obviously):
o Driving the referral programmes, unlocking opportunities through staff, clients and strategic partners
o Managing intermediary and association relationships and platforms, increasing relevant opportunities and securing maximum income from referral agreements
o Nurturing tech partner relationships e.g., Microsoft / Sitecore / Episerver. This includes providing regular updates, keeping platforms up-to-date, registering opportunities, etc.
o Proactively execute prospecting activities e.g., account-based marketing and email campaigns (with support from the wider S’marketing team)
o Organising internal lead generation events – unearthing NB opportunities while also supporting client development
o Owning tender identification, across a number of relevant platforms
• Pipeline progression will include, but is not limited to:
o Being the initial and then primary contact for all prospective clients (with support from the board and managing partner where appropriate)
o Optimising the NB qualification process and leading on its application
o Leading or participating in scoping calls and creds meetings
o Managing the pipeline database (currently in Pipedrive)
o Leading a personalised ‘keep in touch’ programme of activity
• RFI/RFP and pitch responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
o Briefing pitch/proposal teams, managing key milestones, before then reviewing and submitting responses
o Writing proposal responses (where appropriate)
o Supporting pitch teams (led by Managing Partners) within role of Pitch Doctor – helping to drive conversion and pitch efficiency
• Supporting client services in maximizing organic growth (e.g., through proactive sharing of information, events and joint growth activity)
• Working in partnership with the Head of Marketing, create case studies and sales collateral that is category-defining
• Working in partnership with the Head of Marketing, contribute to overall vision and execution of website landing pages, showreels, event presentations, and other strategic content
• Supporting the leadership team in the productization of services and expertise
• Representing the company as a spokesperson and ambassador at credential meetings and more broadly