Job descriptionWELL KNOWN BEAUTY COMPANY IN LA LOOKING FOR A STRONG DIRECTOR OF PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT/R&D
MUST LIVE IN LA!!
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Practical knowledge and experience in product development (Skincare, Color Cosmetics, Haircare, Body Care), both consumer and product as well as working knowledge of formulation chemistry and ingredient functionality for beauty products.
- As most senior representative of R&D, act as liaison with internal and external parties on matters relating to both the custom formula development and procurement of new product formulations (including international requirements and regulatory changes).
- Collaborate with cross functional teams (Package Development, Supply Chain, Brand Management, Regulatory, Retail and Live Shopping, Purchasing and Quality Assurance) to ensure comprehensive formula management.
- Initiate the development of technology and ingredient formation. Screen outside opportunities leveraging vendors and manufacturers R&D process capabilities to recommend new product innovations.
- Co-develop (with the Brand Management and Acquisition departments) and maintain a 3-year revolving Product Launch Calendar.
- Assist in the generation of Product Development Profiles for all new products and line extensions as assigned.
- Plan and formulate aspects of research and development proposals such as objective or purpose of project, applications that can be utilized from findings, costs/cost constraints of project that may impact ability to deliver desired products, i.e. identifying alternate ingredients or suppliers to plan and accomplish goals.
- Implement project tech transfer on existing R&D formulations (in collaboration with Global Supply Chain and Quality teams).
- Negotiate contracts with third party development labs to perform research, custom formulations, or other applicable needed studies.
- Manage overall annual budget to ensure cost-effective and efficient best practices for company.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Meet regularly with suppliers to review new technologies and stay abreast of new research and formulation techniques, market trends, raw materials, etc.
- Implement /oversee clinical efficacy trials (i.e., in-vitro, ex-vivo testing) together with external testing team(s) and Legal.
- Initiate pre-pilot R&D bulk stability testing and work with regulatory on all formula safety related testing linked to key developmental milestones.
- Oversee library of all formula assets and reformulation projects when requested by regulatory or brand.
- Keep a close finger on the pulse of the industry regarding evolving trends and the competitive environment with a focus on “Clean” beauty.
- Adhere to company’s regulatory and legal requirements on all products.
Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least 10+ year’s industry experience in Product Development and Management
- Strong knowledge of formula sustainability, claims substantiation (OTC and Cosmetic) and trends in the beauty industry along with technical expertise and aesthetic sense for all Skincare, Color Cosmetics and Haircare products, and oral care as applicable.
- Broad knowledge of cosmetic manufacturing with all related expertise (i.e.) prerequisites to approve contract vendor use, cost of goods development, filling lines, packaging, MRP systems, inventory control, FDA Certification requirements, and worldwide regulations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, detail-oriented with excellent follow-through abilities, ability to work in a fast-paced environment and efficiently work with vendors and internal departments while prioritizing workload.