Our client is a producer of certified vegan health & wellness supplements which have shown amazing proven results. We are searching for an Human Resources & Legal Counsel Executive to join their team who has an innovative spirit and can help elevate the brand identity.
Senior Director / Vice President Human Resources & Legal Counsel Overview:
The Senior Director / Vice President Human Resources & Legal Counsel will develop and drive an integrated talent strategy that contributes to the advancement of business operations to maintain and enhance our culture of engagement and collaboration. The position will report to the CFO - COO and will be responsible for establishing company-wide human capital management policies, programs, and services. This person has strong existing vendor relationships and understands the suite of tools required to establish new processes across these functional areas. This role will be the point person on legal matters across the business, including but not limited to Employment, Customer, Vendor and IP related litigation matters. They do not need to be a subject matter expert in each legal area, but they will coordinate matters with the relevant Executive team member and outside counsel/experts when relevant and depending on the topic.
This position is responsible for standing up the HR function. The key areas of responsibility include: managing human resource policies, procedures and programs and carries out the following responsibilities: recruiting, staffing, onboarding/training, career development, employee relations, performance management, compensation, benefits (not payroll) and communications, and maintaining positive employee relations for all employees. Business Partner with the Executive Leadership team to hire and staff appropriately to support business strategy and objectives.
The Senior Director / VP originates and leads Human Resources practices and objectives that will provide an employee-oriented, high-performance culture that emphasizes empowerment, accountability, quality, and productivity.
Senior Director / Vice President Human Resources & Legal Counsel Responsibilities:
- Point Person on all legal matters across the business. Coordinates with internal and external experts where required and recommends solutions. Will help draft, review / redline various legal documents.
- Manage Employee Relations: Oversee the update and development of policies, investigation, and counsel of employee issues
- Manage Recruitment and Staffing Relationships. Oversee the development of recruitment strategies, recruitment processes (including onboarding & orientation).
- Setup a Performance Management Process. Establish a process for evaluations that facilitate effective dialog and constructive conversations. Leads the performance management process by ensuring that goals are set, performance is evaluated consistently throughout the organization and that the annual Organizational Review Process is executed with excellence.
- Contribute to effective Compensation & Benefits practices. Work with CEO & CFO to design health & welfare benefits strategies appropriate for our staff, partner on compensation studies to ensure competitive marketplace positioning relative to base compensation and incentives, manage the annual salary administration processes
- Manage Training & Development: Conduct a training needs assessment and develop the supporting training strategies and delivery systems appropriate for the teams and levels of management.
- Manage the Career Development Process. Develop succession plans, oversee the employee career development process, including the creation and review of individual development plans and clarify competencies required for roles
- Promote, develop, and champion Diversity, Equity & Inclusion practices and programs to ensure the workplace is attracting, retaining and rewarding all employees equitably and all voices are heard
- Oversee employee safety, welfare, wellness and health, and employee services and consulting
- Lead employment and compliance to regulatory concerns and reporting.
- Manage company-wide employee communications.
- Update CEO, Board and appropriate coworkers on legal developments.
Senior Director / Vice President Human Resources & Legal Counsel Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent, in HR or a related area
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school preferred
- Labor and employment law expertise
- Minimum 10 years related business experience
- Must be aware of all local, state and federal laws, for the U.S., such as employment discrimination, unfair treatment, harassment, wage and hour, etc. and HR compliance.
- Must possess a strong understanding of human resources generalist responsibilities, company policy and procedures as well as appropriate solutions that solve for both the business and the employee
- Multi-functional experience within HR required (i.e. Recruitment, Training & Development, Employee Relations, Safety & Security, Compensation & Benefits)
- Comfortable in start up environments, experience with Private Equity preferred.
- Great interpersonal and communications skills. Excellent organizational skills. Must be a strong communicator both verbally and in writing.