We are seeking a Director of Media and Community Relations to take on a pivotal role in a fast-paced environment. The Director of Media and Community Relations is responsible for the creation and execution of a strategic annual plan that includes public relations, community relationship management, and external / internal communication. Strategies will support business and revenue objectives, increase awareness and positive perception of the resort and Club, its dining venues, spa, onsite experiences, and executives.
Job duties include, although are not limited to:
- Develop and execute a strategic and integrated annual public relations plan, as part of larger resort marketing plan, which focuses on media relations, storytelling, segment strategies, and key PR initiatives, in addition to community relations.
- Create innovative publicity programs to drive awareness and positive perception of the resort and Club, Drink & Dine offerings, Spa Palmera, onsite experiences, services, and key executives. Programs should address specific needs as outlined in the marketing plan, and capitalize on new opportunities as they arise.
- Media Relations:
- Oversee local and regional media and influencer relations inclusive of South Florida magazines, newspapers, online / digital, social media influencers, and broadcast. Includes proactive story pitching, timely fulfillment of reactive media inquiries, build and maintain editorial relationships, coordinate and host media visits and tours, organize fam trips and photoshoots, pitch editorial calendars and support social media strategies.
- Manage and collaborate with our national PR agency of record (LDPR), and international PR agencies (including Perowne International), for oversight of national and international media relations. Keep them informed of relevant updates to maximize opportunities for exposure. Coordinate and host all media and social media influencers who visit property.
- Vet and handle reactive media requests from international media outlets that are not geographically covered by an existing PR agency.
- Oversee and coordinate media events.
- Community Relations:
- Create and execute a strategic annual program that focuses on community relationship management.
- Represent by attending major local organization events throughout the year, and coordinate attendance for resort executives as appropriate.
- Work with local PR agency on select projects to maximize reach and benefit.
- Reputation Management: Act as a strategic communications advisor by keeping track of public attitudes, developing key messages and managing issues and crisis communications. Serve as on-property communications contact during crisis situations if they arise, working in close relationship with director of communications and PR agency.
- Author press releases, talking points, Q&As, and other written material. Regularly maintain PR toolkit, press room on website, and media and influencer database
- Keep finger on pulse of industry trends; Evaluate the competition’s communications activity and implement change as dictated by market requirements. Monitor and measure results. Exhibit flexibility and proactively pivot based on business needs.
- Build measurement into PR programs, track insights and continuously improve efficiency and impact of investments
Internal Relationships / Alignments
- Report to Director of Communications & Branding; Dotted line to Chief Marketing Officer.
- Collaborate with all members of Marketing Communications team to develop strategies and timelines, maximize efforts and brainstorm new ideas.
- Work closely with resort’s operational departments on strategies, marketing and promotions; Maintain positive cooperative working relationship.
- An adept storyteller (verbal and written).
- A tenacious self-starter who can multi-task and prioritize.
- Deep-rooted relationships with media, community and business contacts that have delivered demonstrable results, and the personality to maximize contacts.
- A creative force with the ability to develop newsworthy story ideas and follow through with pitch leads.
- Effective interpersonal skills and a diligent commitment to strive for quality.
- Minimum of five to seven years of experience in public relations and marketing communications, in the hospitality industry and/or related fields
- University degree in journalism or communications or equivalent experience in public relations