Our client is a well known haircare brand that is seeking a new Product Development Manager to join their team!
This position reports to the Director of Product Development and requires clear communication and coordination with many departments within the office – Product Development, Quality Control, Sales, Design, Marketing, Planning, Purchasing, etc.
- Manages the Product Development team for all developments following through to Production
- Ensures that the PD team is utilizing Asana in the correct way to ensure all project information is transparent, recorded, and easy to understand.
- Works with Director of PD to ensures timelines for all new developments are set, communicated, and met.
- Together with Director of PD, spearheading product ideation and conceptualization for new launches (market research, competitive analysis, innovation research, mood boards, creative copy, evaluating benchmarks, product briefs).
- Manages the communication with labs to quickly batch, test, or re-direct formulations in order to meet time-lines. Quickly change gears and alert cross functional team, Director and labs if projects increase or change priority.
- Works closely with cross functional teams (Production, Design, Marketing and external labs) to make sure that timelines, costing, testing etc is on track.
- Stay abreast of hair and beauty industry news, patents, new launches, new technology, raw materials, and scientific literature to create differentiated, high performing products for the companies brands.
- Manage your team’s preparation of all new product briefs, F+B and PK sheets.
- Coordinates with all major departments; Marketing, Brand, Sales, Design, Production etc. to make sure all parts of 360 developments are on track and on time. Communicates any issues or delays to product launches or testing etc.
- Attends trade shows, events, and excursions for inspiration and learning to feed into innovation and ideation.
- Meets with salon & stylists to test products, receive feedback and make edits to products for launch.
- Assist the Product Development Director with blue-sky initiatives and testing to foster innovation.
- Travel to suppliers, factories and offices as needed. Attend and manage production of new launches.
- Research and communicate latest ingredient and product trends, including latest product developments from competitors.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of PD experience in beauty is a must. Hair Care preferred
- Exceptional project management, organization, and communication skills.
- Strong analytical, interpersonal, and creative skills
- Exhibit strong leadership skills both externally with retailers and internally with teams.
- A strong sense of urgency, ability to prioritize, detail-oriented, exceptional problem solving, and time management skills are essential, as the position requires you to manage multiple projects with firm deadlines.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent problem-solving and conflict management skills.
- Must be already located in New York City area. No relocation.
- Good knowledge of computer software including Asana, Microsoft Word and Excel
Hybrid in-office/work from home schedule, with 3-4 mandatory trips per year to HQ in Brooklyn, NY (paid by company)
*Additional job requirement:
This job position requires in-person work as stated above, and therefore as company policy, you must be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. Proof of vaccination will be requested before your first in-person work assignment.
*Here are just a few elements of our culture that you can look forward to:
An inclusive environment amplifies our employees’ voices in fundamental conversations
A staff of ambitious people who want to set roots down with us and advance in their career
Ongoing Diversity, Equity & Inclusion training
Volunteer and mentorship opportunities with various NYC-based organizations
A safe space to let your ideas be heard and truly make an impact in the type of day-to-day you have always wanted
Sustainability initiatives like composting, recycling and clean energy - and pursuing B-Corp certification!
Shared core values among staff who are passionate about what they do