Prestige Beauty company in LA seeking a strong R&D Manager. MUST live in LA! this is a hybrid work position.
Our client is an innovator and disruptor in the Clean Beauty world! They are looking for an R&D manager who will work in-lab time with their chemist and running regulatory. Helping in the lab with formulation and ingredient research. Highly organized and analytical role.
MAIN JOB OBJECTIVES
The R&D Manager is a member of the product team focused on quality, clean beauty formulation, regulatory coordination and is the primary support person for the company's Chief Chemist in the their R&D facility assisting with the daily operations of a cosmetic lab. This role requires a range of skills including knowledge of cosmetic chemistry, material and equipment sourcing network, and awareness to regulatory practices needed to bring cosmetics to market safely in the US, CAN, EU and Asia. The company is growing so this role will encompass a range of administrative as well as topical tasks for a fast-paced, high-growth and career-growth environment.
• BA in Chemistry a plus. But must have a Bachelor's Degree
• 2-4 years experience in cosmetic lab setting
• Must be in a current R&D title/position
• Analytical skills
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
• Supporting the President/Founder on all daily work on formulations
• Supporting with batch review and approvals at local third-party manufacturers
• Help Chief Chemist write technical reports on new formulas, specifications, MSDS and procedures
• Work with Chief Chemist on creating shades once the base formulas are approved
• Write technical reports; and help the team prepare standards and specifications for raw materials
• Monitor the stability of all products anhydrous and emulsions when needed
• Author the bulk request form (Phase I) to coordinate all safety, micro, stability and compatibility testing bulk
• Coordinate all BRF Phase II product testing protocols: Comedogenicity, opth, efficacy, consumer perception
• Gather quotes, samples, scheduling the test, and digesting the report to share with the team for Phase I and Phase II testing
• Notify products to our international regulatory partners for review and registration in applicable regions.
• Coordinate with the Packaging Manager on all incoming packages to be filled, tested, and stored/organized as well as compatibility testing tracking
• With guidance from chief chemist, request and organize raw materials and maintain online raw material library
• Liase with product development team members on supporting regulatory requests including managing relationships with company's regulatory consultant and Biorius on international needs.
• Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision
• Ability to work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees
• Strong management skills: will need to work closely with regulatory consulting partner and manufacturers to submit necessary documents and complete the review process within a scheduled timeframe.
• Coordinate all sample mailings to team members for product testing (messenger, UPS, etc
. • Help maintain overall cleanliness, maintenance, and organization of the lab space