POSITION SUMMARY: The Handbags & Accessories Technical Designer will report to and work directly with the Director of Accessories Design in assisting with creating technical specifications for all handbags, accessories, and hardware.
• Partner with Director of Accessories Design to translate design intent into product technical specifications.
• Communicate technical information regarding achieving design aesthetic intent and clarity of tech pack information with factories.
• Provide technical insight into new silhouette development.
• Create full-scale technical specifications using the latest Adobe Illustrator and CAD tools
Illustrator plugin to clarify proportions and shape.
• Maintain established standards, details (including hardware), and integrity of the product.
• Review samples for corrections, including aesthetics, dimensions, hand feel, functionality, and workmanship.
• Provide technical callouts while reviewing line in its entirety to ensure consistency.
• Identify, clearly define, and resolve technical issues and partner with the PD team to ensure comments are communicated.
• Identify opportunities for cost engineering improvement and raw material optimization
(seaming, material placement, etc.)
• Pick edge paint, thread colors and enamel colors for all handbags and accessories.
• Mail reference samples, swatches, trims to factories. Ensure all references are returned.
• Load development tech pack PDFS into WFX PLM system.
• Create development BOMS in WFX PLM system.
• Keep all Ai and pdf files organized and labeled properly in Dropbox.
• Create and maintain Illustrator component libraries (to scale hardware components, brush strokes, material swatch libraries.)
• Create and update design boards for each season showcasing handbag and accessory inspiration, silhouettes, materials, colors, and sketches.
• Create and update all handbags and accessories line sheets with correct artwork, season, names, materials, colors, and factory allocations.
• Maintain thorough knowledge of the line (names, silhouettes, materials, design details, factory allocation) and is responsible for tracking changes/additions.
• Tag all development samples and organize for development stages, archive, and sample sales.
• Pull and put back samples for photoshoots, style outs and market week.
• Keep reference sample, hardware and material libraries organized.
• Minimum 5 years work experience in technical design focused on handbags, small leather goods, hardware, and jewelry. Experience with acrylic, resin, bamboo, wood veneers, and natural materials (straw and rattan) is a major plus.
• College degree in Fashion Design or a related field.
• Thorough understanding of technical design, design & development process from inception through production.
• Experience working with and in global factories.
• Handbag and accessory product construction and engineering experience required.
• Advanced knowledge of industry construction standards and manufacturing, including materials (hardware, leather, fabric, acrylic, resin, bamboo, straw, and rattan).
• Advanced proficiency in Adobe Illustrator with an ability to create tech packs in a fast-paced environment.
• Keen attention to detail, initiative, and organizational skills.
• Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, fashion environment with minimal supervision.
• Excellent problem-solving skills and resourcefulness.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.