Job descriptionMy client, a leading surf / lifestyle brand, in OC is looking for a Senior Men's Sportswear Designer to join their team.
They are seeking an experienced, creative and energetic individual to join the team. As the Senior Sportswear Designer you will be responsible for designing the sportswear portion of our apparel line which includes wovens, walkshorts, knits, jackets and fleece. The ideal candidate will bring a mix of creative and business expertise to the position. We are looking for someone who can inspire and be inspired by others to take our creative efforts to the next level.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Plan and create comprehensive design packages that meet product brief goals for image, performance, innovation, function, costing and commercial viability.
• Deliver appropriate product concepts that meet development calendar requirements.
• Select all fabrics, materials and embellishments for each specific product design appropriate to the product brief and intended end use.
• Work as a leading contributor of the Product Design Team working directly with the Product Manager and Product Development team to manage and meet apparel design and sample deadlines. Work with the Development Team in the initial development phase to ensure the intended design. This includes approving and commenting on colors, fabric strike-offs as well as reviewing sample fit and construction requirements throughout the pre-production stage.
• Attend and present at apparel presentations and meetings. Present seasonal trend and market report and how these trends would apply to upcoming lines.
• Visit production facilities and tour factories to become familiar with the manufacturing processes of the products that are being designed.
• Attend tradeshows and meet with vendors to research trends of materials, color, trims and manufacturing.
Requirements and Qualifications:
• Must have a minimum of 3 years related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience in apparel design or related field.
• College degree in Apparel Design or related course of study preferred.
• Working knowledge of Mac-based Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop required.
• Knowledge of garment construction, textiles, and garment fits required.
• Current and historical knowledge of endemic industry trends, market trends and our target consumer.
• Must have experience working within seasonal design and development calendars.
• Excellent overall design sense is a must.
• Must be able to multi-task and be detail oriented.
• Must be willing and flexible to travel when necessary.
• Ability to use discretion and independent judgment to be creative within set timelines.
• Must think on a conceptual level with confident decision-making skills. Project management and leadership skills are also necessary. Must be able to lead with strong communication skills and creativity
• This is a full-time, in-office position. We believe in the importance of teamwork and the effects on our culture.